New Theater Arts Director To Build on Existing Legacy

Charles Hooper, new theater arts director

Kyra Vandiver

Charles Hooper is a “dramatic” new part of the North Atlanta faculty. Hooper is the new director of the school’s theater arts program. In taking the position, he succeeds Linda Stevenson, the school’s beloved, longtime theater arts director who passed away last winter.

Hooper came to North Atlanta from Dutchtown High School in Henry County, where he taught for two years. Despite being a new teacher, he’s no stranger to North Atlanta. Three years ago, Hooper did his student teacher training here. He said it is his aim to continue Stevenson’s legacy and build on all of her hard work.

Hooper brings more than 20 years of actual acting and directing experience to North Atlanta. Prior to teaching, he lived in Los Angeles and worked as an actor where he gained both film and theater experience. Hooper has won several awards in the One-Act competition and was a Shuler nominee for the High School Musical awards. Throughout his years in film and on the stage, he’s  worked with actor Anthony Anderson and worked with George Clooney on the movie “Oh Brother Where Art Thou?”. (Another fun celebrity fact: Hooper attended North Springs High School with Usher.)

His transition into the theater arts program has not been without its challenges. The drama program has been in limbo since Stevenson’s death, and there are many issues that needed to be attended to. “I understand rebuilding is going to take some time,” Hooper said.

Students have expressed excitement about Hooper’s arrival. Jose Rodriguez, a senior, said his new teacher is both straightforward and intuitive. Rodriguez hopes to play a lead role this year and enter the One-Act competition.

Hooper wants to recruit for the drama department and get more students and parents involved in the theater arts program. “The sky’s the limit for what we can do here at North Atlanta and we’re going to shoot for the sky,” he said.