Are Morning Security Measures Effective?

Morning Large

In the morning, students have to wait in long lines outside of the building in order to go through metal detectors and to have teachers check our backpacks as we go through. All of the above takes place under the idea that this early morning pass-through adds to the safety and security of students and staff.

But some question whether anything is being accomplished with this whole process. There even are contentions that the whole metal detector process is purposeless altogether. “The morning procedure is a total waste of time,” said Summer Epps, a sophomore.

Epps comments that teachers on duty do not vigilantly check through the backpacks. She also said that students walk through metal detectors with their phones on. This causes the metal detectors to go off but teachers on duty just ignore the constant stream of alarms.

Personally, my backpack has never been thoroughly searched. I understand the need for security, but the the morning procedure is inefficient.

Most students think that the metal detectors are part of the reason why students are late to class in the morning. The long wait in line is what contributes to being tardy. “The teachers are slow and this prevents a lot of us from getting to class on time,” said Kyra Vandiver, a sophomore.

Because North Atlanta is the only 11-story high school in the state, the metal detector delays can really make the morning rushed. After negotiating the lengthy lines, students who have classes on the higher floors then have to traverse many flights of stairs to get to class. Students who opt for the crowded elevators oftentimes can’t get on these because they’re packed or possibly they are a long time in coming.

The school administration might have the right intentions with the morning procedures. But as someone who has to contend with these procedures every school day, I think there needs to be some changes to make the procedures more effective. This will not only make students safer, but it will also help decrease tardies.