PartyNextDoor Rocks Center Stage In Atlanta

PartyNextDoor+performs+in+Atlanta.+

PartyNextDoor performs in Atlanta.

“When we arguin’, it’s just me and me. I was hardly home, workin’ 3 to 3, seems like another time feels like another time, there will be another time I’ll get to, forget you…”

The above lyrics, penned by singer-songwriter-producer PartyNextDoor are autobiographical. The popular singer from Canada, whose real name is Jahron Anthony Brathwaite, performed a sold-out concert in Atlanta on Nov. 2 at the Center Stage in Midtown. He told the audience that his “Genius” song was written about his high-school sweetheart.

The singer’s popularity has greatly enhanced when he signed with Drake’s OVO Sound record label. October’s Very Own “OVO” Sound is a record label based in Canada, founded by rapper Drake and longtime friends Noah “40” Shebib and Oliver El- Khatib. OVO Sound tends to produce Canadian-based artists who are popular in the U.S., artists like The Weeknd, ILoveMakonnen and PartyNextDoor. Under Drake’s label, PartyNextDoor makes the kind of electronic-infused R&B music frequently heard on urban contemporary radio stations.

When word went out weeks ago that PartyNextDoor was coming to Atlanta, the excitement was immediate and palpable. All the tickets for his show were snapped up in under an hour. Fortunately a few lucky North Atlanta students were able to snatch up theirs and attend the general admission concert. On the Saturday evening of the event, these students got there early to be as close to the stage as possible.

“We arrived around 4:30 and waited outside in the cold with blankets on us to keep warm with our phones turned off to save the batteries,” said sophomore Justice Davenport. “When the doors opened at 8, we rushed down to be in the first two rows.”

PartyNextDoor mostly performed songs from his second album, “PartyNextDoor Two.” He performed from 10 to 10:50 p.m. which made fans upset and a bit on the rowdy side, particularly since there was no opening act. And, adding to the sense of performance injustice, PartyNextDoor took a 10-minute break during the short performance.

“The concert was at Center Stage and that venue is okay,” said sophomore Taylor Breedlove. “It was crowded and everyone stood the whole time. I would’ve preferred that the concert be held at a sit-down venue like the Fox or Philips Arena.”

Concert attendees ranged from dedicated delusional fans to people who just loved the artist’s second album. The evening was marked by occasional fan eruptions including one bizarre scene when a girl jumped on stage. Once there, she grabbed the water bottle that PartyNextDoor was drinking from. She took a chug, screamed out loud, and then passed the bottle to her friends. “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, but there can be some crazy people at concerts,” said sophomore Morgan Staten.

Other concert highlights include fans arguing about their spots on the floor being taken even though the concert venue was open floor which means first-come-first-stand. The concert also featured female fans tossing their undergarments, photos, and cards with their phone numbers on them onto the stage.

Though the performer was on stage for a comparatively short period of time, the brevity of his performance did not diminish his fan’s enthusiasm. “The concert was amazing! It was the best 45 minutes of my life,” said Davenport. “It was well worth the wait. I’m in love! I hope he sells merchandise next time so I can forever cherish the experience.”

Get this young woman a t-shirt. And you – next time he comes to Atlanta – make every effort to get to a concert by PartyNextDoor.