North Atlanta Art Students Selected for Governor’s Honors

Sophomore Colin Forsyth, one of four North Atlanta art students selected to be in Governors Honors.

Carolyn Casadonte

Sophomore Colin Forsyth, one of four North Atlanta art students selected to be in Governor’s Honors.

Every summer, the state’s Governor’s Honor’s Program gathers the state’s “best and brightest.” Selected students from high schools across the state from a wide range of academic disciplines converge on Valdosta State University in Valdosta from mid-June to mid-July. Art is a major part of the four-week long residential program and North Atlanta has shown its artistic prowess by having four students selected for Governor’s Honors. The students chosen are junior Zuri Scott, and sophomores Isabella Carusso, Bonnie Shea, James Hunt and Colin Forsyth.

Art teachers Natalie Brandhorst and Kimberly Landers were part of the selection process for the school. They determined which students had the best shot to represent the school for the prestigious program. Potential program participants are asked to create three drawings, two color pieces and two design pieces and a stand-alone sculpture.

Forsyth is part of a particularly strong cohort who will go to South Georgia for the program. “I’m very excited for the experience and to meet new people. I also know that it looks really good on college applications,” he said.

Brandhorst said having so many art students in the program represents a huge honor for the school. She said their coming participation makes her feel like a proud parent knowing students she’s worked closely with will be together as they learn and grow as artists. “I just want to hug them and kiss them and call them mine,” she said.

For Governor’s Honors, the students will be taking classes in painting, sculpture and photography. They can look forward to a program that not only develops their talents now but one that also provides opportunities for college and professional endeavors. Many of the program’s alumni have had noteworthy careers.