Alisha Lee 2015-2016 Education Support Specialist of the Year

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Alisha Lee, 2015-2016 Education Support Specialist of the Year

In a voting process driven by peer recognition, Alisha Lee was named North Atlanta High School Education Support Professional of the Year for the 2015-2016 school year. Voting for the award took place in late-April and the award announcement came on May 5.

Lee, a school clerk and camera room director, first came to North Atlanta in 2010 and first served as an administrative assistant for the International Studies small learning community. Prior to her current post she was director of the school’s in-school suspension program. “I’m honored to receive this award, of course. But what I really sense is that my peers are telling me I’m doing a good job. That’s what I find so affirming about this,” Lee said.

Lee goes well beyond her job duties to build up the school culture. Every year she serves on a team of faculty and staff to coordinate North Atlanta’s prom. “With Ms. Lee there’s always a willingness to go the extra mile for our students,” said Principal Curtis Douglass. “She’s so committed and so flexible and she’s always willing to pitch in with anything she’s asked to do.”

While working in a school environment comes with inherent pressures, Lee said there are inherent joys associated with working with young people. “Because I’m still comparatively young, I like the fact that the students feel like I’m someone they can relate to,” she said. “They come to me for advice and when they have issues and I’m always ready to be a listening ear.”

Her current role gives Lee fascinating insights in the day-to-day life at North Atlanta. From her office within the school’s administrative suite, she monitors the live feeds from the hundreds of cameras in the building to ensure that students are safe as they navigate their schedules. The job took some adjusting too when she first took the challenge on. “On my first day I sort of freaked out because I felt like I was spying on the students,” she said. “Thankfully I’m used to it now.”

Her rapport with the students means that some even count on the fact that they know a watchful and caring pair of eyes see them, and that the woman behind those eyes cares about them. “They sometimes even wave to me when they’re on the elevator,” she said. “I always remind the kids that we’re not here to spy on them. What we’re here for is to ensure that they are safe.”