The New Voice Behind the School Announcements

Alaina+Van+Nort%2C+the+girl+behind+the+school+announcements.+

Kayla McKinney

Alaina Van Nort, the girl behind the school announcements.

Every morning one lady goes on the announcements speaking to 1,700 students that attend North Atlanta High School. But do you know who it is? Many people can’t put a name to that voice, but you may know her. Her name is Alaina Van Nort, a junior who has participated in the video production program for the past two years. The offer for an announcement went to students in the video production program and Van Nort was enthusiastically agreed to take on the task.

Van Nort is now a third-level video student which qualified her for the intimidating role. Each day she goes to Vice Principal Robert Whitman’s office and delivers announcements to the entire student body. “I think of it like I am speaking into a microphone not to a huge crowd. That helps calm my nerves,” said Van Nort.

Aside from all the logistics, she says the job is fun. “It boosts my confidence and my public speaking skills,” she said.

Not all speakers can be perfect and Van Nort is no exception. “One day, as always, Mr. Whitman was making funny faces at me and trying to get me to laugh. I finally cracked, read it wrong, and burst into laughter,” she said. “I laugh all the time, in fact, but usually just move away from the microphone. It’s quite hilarious actually.”

You might have heard other voices on the announcements in the past. But with the recent switch from afternoon to morning announcements, she is now the main speaker who is only substituted when she cannot make it.

Van Nort’s voice has become a familiar sound to every student at NAHS. She hopes to work in video production in the future, and that her current announcing task is preparing her for that path. “I really enjoy doing the announcements,” she said. “They’re fun and doing this will give me opportunities for the future.”