Juniors Experience a Dawgs Life

Dionne Williams

Juniors pose in front of the arch

For the first time, 45 lucky juniors got to visit one of the most popular colleges that students at North Atlanta aim to attend after high school: the University of Georgia. This trip was organized by our new, much loved college counselor, Mikala Bush. Bush has a special tie to UGA as she graduated from there in 2015 with a degree in psychology and a public health minor.

Students arrived early at school on Nov. 3 for the two hour ride up to Athens. They were given an extensive tour of the campus, but first they went to an info-session, where a fourth-year UGA student gave a presentation on some of the unique aspects of the school. The students then had their picture taken in front of UGA’s famous arch on front campus. They learned the legend behind it, which says that if you pass underneath it before graduation, you won’t graduate. The tour went around some of main spots on campus including the university’s massive bookstore. The group then got to eat at Bolton Dining Hall, which was definitely one of the focal points of the trip. This all-you-can-eat dining hall features college student favorites like pasta, Chinese, ice cream, all-day breakfast, and much more. “My favorite part of the trip was the cafeteria because we could see an unfiltered version of what it is like to be in college, and the types of people you see there,” said Tatiyana Wilburn.

The group’s final destination was an a stop at the Ramsey Athletic Center. This facility offers state-of-the-art equipment which includes multiple weight rooms, swimming pools, a boxing room, and a climbing wall. “I think it was very informative and I wanted everyone to see a bunch of the aspects of life there, not just go on a tour,” said Bush.

All the students seemed to love the experience and had nothing but positive things to say about the university. After this visit, UGA may be getting more applications from eager North Atlanta students next year. Go Dawgs!