Whata’ Building!: The Place Where North Atlanta Learns

Our glass atrium connects the Hillside building to the Lakeside building.

Lark Izenson

A two-part building that straddles a lake is definitely one that stands out in the crowd. This former IBM training center is an 11-story colossus that features floor-to-ceiling pane windows, six elevators on each floor, and artwork that brightens the halls as you stroll through them. Some agree that our building is amazing, but others think that it’s overrated, and maybe even mediocre. So, what is the good, the bad, and the ugly of our architecturally noteworthy learning environment?

A lot of students at North Atlanta, and even other schools, aren’t afraid to express their appreciation and amazement with for our building. From the vibrant pops of color on every floor to the unorthodox structure of what a public school building would look like, North Atlanta’s building is nothing if not modern.

“North Atlanta gets a gold star for the choice of the new building. It looks like one of those schools you would see in those future movies,” said sophomore Regan Nesbit.

The new North Atlanta building is obviously one thing: big. There’s enough space in the school for everyone to feel comfortable, and different students use the space for different advantages. “I’m not really a people person, unlike my friend, so I like the building because I don’t have to run into anyone I don’t want to,” said sophomore Mary Drew.

For many the school doesn’t even project a school environment. If anything it looks like an art gallery with many eye-catching aspects. Sophomore Asjah Johnson cited the typical fan-favorite choice when she talked about her favorite thing about the school. “The views from all sides of the building are breathtaking,” she said.

Now an 11-story school building does sound pretty impressive, but it does have some downsides. One of the biggest problems is how crowded it is at times. Maybe it’s not the smartest idea to release 2,000 kids all at once. “You know how hard it is to walk down the steps during transition or at the end of the day. Walking through North Atlanta feels like crossing the street in Times Square,” said sophomore J’Nya Reese.

Some seniors who got to experience the old building have even said the new one lacks character. They miss the old campus with its open courtyard and traditional school layout. Another problem with the new building is that it feels so divided. There’s a big spatial gap between the top-of-the-building seniors and lower-level freshman. “The view is the best from the 10th and 11th floor, but getting to class is a pain,” said senior Alana Dorsey.

For a freshman, they have difference experiences. “We don’t really have to rush to class or rush to the elevator because everything is basically right there. But, we don’t really get to see the rest of the school,” said freshman Hunter Smith.

Regardless of the internal problems that come with having such a big building, North Atlanta is a beautiful school and has been widely recognized for its college-like campus and amazing architecture.