Your Choice of Parking Spots

Students+are+permitted+to+park+wherever+they+please+in+the+parking+deck.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Students are permitted to park wherever they please in the parking deck.

The upgrade from buses or carpool to having your own parking spot is something that every high school student looks forward to. Whether you upgrade in sophomore year or you don’t go through that rite of passage, everyone hopes for that achievement.

In past years, students have gotten to choose a reserved parking spot, but this year students have the option to park wherever they want. However, getting the spot you want is dependent on when you get to school. It’s first come first served, so the spots that are open at 8 a.m. might not be open at 8:45 a.m.

While the parking deck is convenient, it can be dangerous. “People fly through there and you can’t back out,” said freshman Danielle Milburn.

“The amount of times I have seen my life flash before my eyes in that parking deck is crazy,” said senior Nicholas Wright.

Wanting to get the parking space you want could cause that rush. Students tend to park next to their friends and prepare together for the upcoming school day. However, you still need to be careful that you park correctly. Whether intentional or not, you can still get a ticket. “If people keep parking in the parking deck without stickers and they don’t get ticketed, I want my money back for my parking pass,” said senior Keyrell Wingfield. “There is a lot that you can do with fifty dollars.”

There was an instance when someone took up three parking spots and that student got ticketed. That caused some talk among those in the parking deck. There is more freedom than previous years, but that also means that things can be more dangerous. Get here early so you can get the parking spot you want and be on time for class!