North Atlanta is “No Place for Hate”

No+Place+for+Hate+sponsor%2C+Rebecca+England%2C+has+made+a+huge+impact+on+the+program+here+at+North+Atlanta.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

No Place for Hate sponsor, Rebecca England, has made a huge impact on the program here at North Atlanta.

North Atlanta High School is seeking to become a “No Place for Hate” certified school during the 2016-2017 school year. “No Place For Hate” helps schools foster a culture of respect and creates a safe, bully-free learning environment for all students. In order to receive this reputable distinction, a school must complete at least three activities that promote kindness, respect and tolerance during the current school year.

North Atlanta’s “No Place for Hate” club has gotten a head start on the certification process by leading the school toward completing the resolution of respect in August during advisement classes. “Several of the School Connect advisement lessons will focus on our mission throughout the school year,” said Rebecca England, North Atlanta counselor at large, “We hope that students will take the skills taught during the lessons and put them in practice at school and at home.”

The club is currently in the process of submitting an activities proposal. Likely activities will be a Nice Notes movement for Kindness Day in February where students will share positive statements about others. Other activities will be an assembly to address stereotypical characterizations on TV, and a classroom activity that involves first impressions.

Club members promote tolerance, even as they have developed camaraderie among themselves. “It’s very diverse and open. I love being a part of such a comfortable environment,” said senior April Rodriguez.

Elementary, middle, and high schools in the APS district and around the nations are participating in “No Place for Hate.” For North Atlanta, a “No Place For Hate” certification would be a big accomplishment and would go a long way toward creating a more caring and considerate school environment.