Robotics: Building a Better Season

The+robotics+team+dedicates+themselves+to+creating+a+functioning+robot.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

The robotics team dedicates themselves to creating a functioning robot.

With the new year finally in full swing, the North Atlanta robotics team is following suit and drawing the blueprints for what they think will be their best season yet. Many members of the “Warbotz” have felt that the previous season was satisfactory, but did not live up to the high expectations they set for themselves. However the team has implemented a number of reforms and feels this season may go down in the history books.

The disappointments from last year stem from a competition held in April. During the competition, the Warbotz’ robot had a mechanical malfunction that rendered the machine inoperable. There were last-minute fixes but the team did not place as high as was expected.

Junior Jake Anderson, the lead engineer, seems confident of the improvements this year. “We have grown more as a team and are more of a unified group than we ever were last year,” he said.

Not only has the quality of the team increased, but so has its quantity. There are 35 members total on the team. “We have a much larger group this year. In fact, this might be the largest group we have had yet,” said sophomore Rainier Truesdale.

In months since last year’s season, the Warbotz have taken time to fine tune its robot – nicknamed “El Diablo” – and upgrade it for the new season. “We have really improved the code of the robot, especially on the movement, which had been a problem in previous years,” said sophomore Andrew Friedman, a lead programmer.

Sophomore Ethan Roman, an engineer, spoke on the capabilities of the robot itself. “It can move at an extremely fast rate, can pick up balls and other objects, and can even pop a wheelie,” he said.

The robotics team isn’t only planning for the next season, but also sowing the seeds for future generations of Warbotz members. “We recently held a science night out fundraiser with a group of middle schoolers” said junior Mikah Wray, a group administrator.

This fundraiser involved robotics members helping younger students with a number of science related activities. “This will hopefully encourage them to pursue science related pathways in the future,” said Wray.

With all these advancements, the future seems bright for the Warbotz’ new year. Only time will tell if the Warbotz have really upgraded their season or if this year will be a possible robotic malfunction.

The North Atlanta Robotic Club meets on Tuesdays and Thursday after school in Robotics Club rooms on the first floor.