Jerid Morisco Strikes a Chord At North Atlanta

Dr.+Morisco+conducts+his+advanced+chorus+class.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Dr. Morisco conducts his advanced chorus class.

Chorus and guitar instructor Jerid Morisco has been teaching for almost a quarter century. Although his experience makes him a veteran educator, he is a “freshman” teacher at North Atlanta. In addition to his 24-year background, he has taught at eight different schools around the country ranging from elementary to college level.

Among the school districts where he’s taught have been Hayward Unified School District, IB World School District, and Henry County Schools. Beyond teaching on the secondary-level, he also teaches on the collegiate level. Currently, Morisco teaches a course on the History of American Popular Music at Saint Leo University, and a summer master’s program at George Mason University in Virginia.

With so much experience at a wide range of schools, Morisco has seen it all. And so far, he says, he likes what he sees at North Atlanta. “The vast majority of the students are so well mannered.” he said, “I have never had so many students speak in the hall with a ‘good morning’ or take their time to express their appreciation.”

For his undergraduate studies, Morisco graduated from Shorter College with a degree in Voice Performance. He has a master’s degree from Sam Houston State University in Conducting and he received his doctorate in Music Education from Shenandoah Conservatory.

Many students know the difficulties, small and large, that come along with moving to a new school. The hardest thing about this transition for Morisco has been learning the “ins and outs” of accomplishing daily tasks. There are many things he’s come to enjoy about North Atlanta, but working with his choir is what motivates him the most. “I love walking into a Bel Canto Singers rehearsal, and being able to work at such a high, artistic level with such amazing students,” he said.

As a first-year teacher at North Atlanta, Morisco has already developed a corps of students who find him to be inspiring. He feels working with such dedicated colleagues in the fine arts department is both inspiring and humbling. “Every day I walk into this phenomenal building, but the supportive faculty, administration, and stellar students who fill the building are what make me look forward to arriving to school each day,” he said.

Morisco’s love for the arts, education, and choral and musical endeavor all makes him a significant addition to the North Atlanta staff. To the chorus of those praising the educational environment being established here, add the voice of Jerid Morisco.