Yeargin Marks His Last Year at North Atlanta

Mr.+Yeargin+has+chosen+to+end+his+long-term+career+at+North+Atlanta.+

Nicolas Prada-Rey

Mr. Yeargin has chosen to end his long-term career at North Atlanta.

The end of this year will mark the conclusion of social studies teacher John Yeargin’s teaching career. After nearly 30 years of teaching, he will be concluding his journey of empowering students to academically challenge themselves inside the classroom.

It was 1988 when Yeargin began teaching at Northside High School, North Atlanta’s predecessor. He has since taught many social studies courses, ranging from Latin American history to IB Theory of Knowledge. “What has kept me teaching for this long is purely the students,” he said. “I think it’s great to see students develop, inside and outside of the classroom.”

This summer, immediately after retiring, Yeargin said he plans to take six months off to tend to himself and organize the life ahead of him. “This summer I’m heading up to the Ocoee River to do whitewater rafting. It’s a favorite hobby of mine,” he said. “That and hiking are some of my favorite things to do outside of school.”

For Yeargin, retirement certainly doesn’t mean sitting around on a rocking chair and doing nothing. Along with his outdoor activities, he plans to stay productive by participating in non-profit work and continuing to be involved with children.

His retirement announcement has come as something of a shock to many students, particularly those who are now contemplating their next academic year without him. IB students know him for his distinctive and rigorous teaching style, a lecture-based format that will prepare students for college days ahead. “I value his knowledge of history and his in depth conversations about our topic,” said junior Jack Henderson. “I really learned how to take notes in his class and I’ll miss having him as a teacher next year.”

The year 2017 will mark the end of his career but the legacy of his teaching style and commitment to student development will continue on for years to come.