School Inaugurates New Student-Athlete Leadership Team

SALT+leads+the+athletic+department+with+many+new+ideas+for+the+school+as+a+whole.+

Cady Studios

SALT leads the athletic department with many new ideas for the school as a whole.

The Student-Athlete Leadership Team (SALT) is a new program designed to develop the leadership skills of our student-athletes and will be facilitated by North Atlanta’s own athletic director Andre Regan.

Participating student-athletes, most of which are team captains, were nominated by their respective head coaches. North Atlanta’s newly inaugurated chapter is joining the many SALT organizations found at high schools across the nation. “Leading self, leading with others, and changing your world” is the core of the organization’s leadership model followed by coaches and athletes nationwide. Discussion topics during meetings will include accountability, self-awareness, resiliency, communication, collaboration, and empathy with and for teammates and coaches. The hope is that these discussions will help Warrior student-athletes both on and off the playing field.

“This organization will be an important piece of the framework that holds together not only sports teams, but the school as a whole,” said Regan.

Organization members intend to influence a whole new generation of students at North Atlanta to become leaders as well. “It is a way to promote leadership in the athletic department. The program allows for better communication between players and coaches,” said senior varsity soccer player Caroline Ballou.

The leadership qualities learned by students will not only carry through high school and higher education, but will be valuable for all of their lives. “I am excited to learn and lead the future of North Atlanta’s athletics from my peers and teachers,” said senior basketball player Cameron Fearon.

Even though the club hasn’t come into full swing just yet, members plan to organize and put on the athletic banquet in 2017. For the future, it’s expected that SALT will promote more intra-sport leadership development and – from there – we can expect even more success for Warrior teams on the fields of play.