New IB Career Pathway Offers Students More Flexibility

North Atlanta High School is unique in that it offers AP and IB classes. However, the benefit of having both options oftentimes results in sophomores facing conflict about which courses to take.

The IB program focuses on developing the intellectual, emotional and social skills required to be successful in a rapidly globalizing world. Students are required to complete a Middle Years Program (MYP) project during sophomore year and then either schedule for the IB Diploma Program (DP) or the brand new IB Career Pathway (CP). The DP essentially fills a student’s schedule with all IB courses whereas the CP integrates IB classes and AP classes. Although there are seemingly enough acronyms associated with the program to make an alphabet, for many the major scheduling choice is not easily spelled out.

The major difference from last year’s sophomore class options is the addition of the IB Career Pathway, which is more flexible because it integrates both IB and AP. “I’m taking CP because it will let me focus on a pathway I’m really interested in,” said sophomore Lila Ward. “I can create my schedule to focus on topics that will help me for a future career. I couldn’t do everything I wanted through the DP program.”

The majority of the underclassmen have received the flexibility of the IB CP positively, especially since it supports certain electives that were more difficult to take in past years due to the IB DP requiring a more specific and rigid schedule.

Although the IB CP has alleviated some of the stress that comes with entering the program, the nervous anticipation affiliated with the challenges of these higher level classes still persist. “I am mostly anxious about the workload,” said sophomore Ellie Hankin. “I just hope I can get enough sleep.”

Of course, many students purposely pick IB for the excitement of exercising their brains in new and stimulating ways. “Honestly though I’m really looking forward to going more in-depth with my various classes, especially biology,” Hankin said.

Overall, IB is an extremely unique and enriching experience ingrained in what the North Atlanta community stands for. In the face of all of the fear, anxiety, and anticipation that always accompany new beginnings, it is without a doubt that hard work, diligence, and the values IB emphasizes will end in success for students.