APS Water Knights Defeated Pace Academy

NAHS Water Knights Proved Victorious in Battle Against the Pace Knights

Photo by Shannon Davis, NAHS Parent

Photo by Shannon Davis, NAHS Parent

The Atlanta Public Schools Water Knights and the Pace Academy water polo club came face to face on September 18, with a great game. Despite the nervousness of how the team would fare, the APS Water Knights defeated Pace with a great margin, winning 4-8.

“Pace was our biggest rival,” comments Coach Stu Sheldon.

“We definitely did better today than we did last year. Although our shooting percentage was lower today than last year, we did great. I am really proud of the team,” he said.

Michael Maxey, North Atlanta senior, scored one of the Knights’ eight points and remarks on the team’s performance, “I definitely felt that we all could have worked better when it came to defense, but we did great! We won!”

Junior Chaz Torres scored a point as well, and said, “I feel great! We did awesome. I’m really happy with the effort we put in today, and all of that warming up was totally worth it.”

A Pace student and water polo team member recalled what went wrong, “We were a little off today,” she says,“ We could have done better. It was just a little effort that was missing.”

After the game, APS Knights and stakeholders attended a team dinner at Memorial Park to celebrate the team’s accomplishments this season.

The water polo team is a cross-school team, with players from Henry W. Grady High School from midtown Atlanta and North Atlanta High School from Buckhead. Georgia now has 21 high school water polo coed teams, in addition to four girls’ teams.

A complete schedule for the Knights can be found here.