Warrior Cross Country Team Runs For More Crowns

After sweeping the city meet, the Warriors went on to take third and fourth place at regionals.

Often spotted running in the school parking lot, up and down campus hills, and around the front entrance, the North Atlanta cross country team is a dedicated group of students now more than 50 strong.

The team, divided into the men’s squad and the women’s squad, was captained by senior John Rudd and sophomore Madeline Pearce, respectively. The 2013 season started at the beginning of August, before school started, and concluded at the end of October. The Warrior runners placed ninth in their first two meets and flipped between fourth and fifth in the eight following meets.

As would be expected for a team that endures so much strenuous competition, there is plenty of practice involved. Warrior runners practice Monday through Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. Practice consists of dynamic stretching, sprints, and long runs, up to a few miles.

The 2013 campaign consisted of 10 meets. These competitions ranged from regular meets held at individual schools and invitational competitions. North Atlanta competed at the 5A level in region six, which matched NAHS against Tucker, Lakeside, and Martin Luther King High School, among other schools. The season progressed from city, to regional, and then to state meets.

The successful fall cross country season has left the coaches and runners optimistic.

At the city finals on Oct. 16, more than 10 cross-country squads competed and the Warrior runners took first place in their 5A division in both squads.

The regional competition was the weekend of Nov. 2 and 3 and a total of seven teams competed for a top spot at the event. North Atlanta placed third and fourth in the meet, which enabled the squads to move on to the state meet, held at Carrollton High School.

The Warriors are coached by IB physics teacher Tiffany Grant. Grant, a first-year cross country coach, says she enjoys the energy levels that team members bring to both practice and competitions. The Warriors are also coached by George Sanderlin, the assistant cross-country coach. Sanderlin is a community coach who is a businessman by trade. In addition to cross country,  he serves as the assistant track and field coach in the spring. Sanderlin has been coaching NAHS runners for more than 10 years. His desire to participate in high school sports is rooted in his love for both sport and for high school athletes.

The devotion of both coaches is not lost on Warrior runners. “Our coaches care a lot about the team and they put so much effort into all that they do,” said William Floyd, a junior now in his third-year running on the team.

The level of training and commitment required for all sports is extensive, but is especially evident for cross country. Kyle Anderson, a sophomore runner, comments, “The best part about running cross country is the bonds you make just participating in the sport.”