North Atlanta Students Stoked for APS-Sponsored “Hamilton” Field Trip

Olivia Chewning

One Shot: Sophomores Taylor Hicks and Natalie McNamara are among the many North Atlanta students who will get to take in the Tony-award winning musical “Hamilton.”

With the school year wrapping up, students have a lot on their plate before it is finally summer break — finals, AP exams, and even review packets. However, this year, Atlanta Public Schools has planned one more event that students are definitely not dreading — a district-wide May 22 field trip to see the Tony award-winning musical “Hamilton.” While tickets to this show are often quite expensive, even topping $100 a piece, the school district is offering its lucky students the chance to see it for $10.

Needless to say, North Atlanta students are thrilled with the opportunity to see the show. While this once-in-a-lifetime offer was originally only for sophomores, it was eventually extended to the entire school. “I could hardly believe that the tickets were so cheap. I signed up as soon as I could,” said sophomore Taylor Hicks.

This opportunity was made possible by a $300,000 arts grant awarded to the district. APS decided that the best way to spend it was to treat students to dinner and a show. “I think that it is wonderful they are doing this. Everyone should have the chance to go to the Fox Theater. It’s such an iconic landmark,” said sophomore Hannah Hume.

The musical, centered around the life of the founding father Alexander Hamilton, is iconic as well. Since its 2015 broadway debut, “Hamilton” has been lauded by critics and typical theater-goers alike. “I became a fan of the musical back in eighth grade, but tickets were just so expensive. I am so excited to finally see it!” said sophomore Natalie McNamara.

While people will soon be lining up at the Fox Theater scrambling to buy last-minute tickets, North Atlanta students will be able to kick back and enjoy the show without worry. What better way to start the summer?