Filed under A&E, Showcase

North Atlanta’s Music Department Gears Up For LGPE

Musical+Scores%3A+Junior+Dionne+Jackson+and+Rhiann+Ashmore+perform+at+the+LGPE+event+as+part+of+the+North+Atlanta+Orchestra.+

Musical Scores: Junior Dionne Jackson and Rhiann Ashmore perform at the LGPE event as part of the North Atlanta Orchestra.

The North Atlanta music department is gearing up for this year’s Large Group Performance Evaluation (LGPE), one of the most important parts of the semester for chorus, band and orchestra. During this event, several schools show off the talent and hard work of their different music groups to a panel of judges and are evaluated and scored. Each of the groups will go through its specific LGPE event during either February or March.

There are two parts to LGPE that each group has to complete in order to be scored. First, they have to perform multiple songs that fit certain criteria. Second is the hard part: sight reading. Sight reading is when a performer is given sheet music and has to sing or play whatever is on it without being able to practice or memorize it first. Sight reading is often a source of stress for both students and teachers, as it can be difficult for many.

After performing in front of the judges, the groups are scored separately for each task using a specific scoring system designed specifically for LGPE. The five possible scores that can be earned in both sections are poor, fair, good, excellent and superior. Each year, the performers aim for superiors in both categories, but it can be a difficult feat. The tough scoring system has its benefits according to sophomore cello player Claire Duerr. “Being judged and scored by professionals can be helpful because it lets us know how much progress we’ve made throughout the year and what we may have to work on in the future,” she said.

For some, this will be their first year participating in LGPE, which can be a bit nerve-wracking. Both the preparation and the actual event can be intense with the amount of practice that is required and the tough competition and judges. It’s no surprise that the whole event can be a bit stressful for those who have never experienced it. Sophomore chorus student Dana Carter has mixed feelings about what her first LGPE will be like. “I’m excited for it, but I’m also really nervous,” she said. “I’m not sure if my singing ability is up to par with everyone else’s, but I’ll still be sure to try my best.”  

Even though the outcome of this year’s LGPE is unknown, everyone in the music department is excited to show off all of the hard work they have put in throughout the year. The competition may be tough and the road to all superiors fraught with obstacles, but North Atlanta’s band, orchestra and chorus are sure to shine through.