An Everyman’s Guide to Uber-Cool Teen Phrases

That+Slaps%3A+Senior+Hyyat+Sabree+and+junior+Liam+Hurteau+join+in+on+the+new+wave+of+slang+that+has+become+popularized+in+North+Atlanta.+

Tabitha Randklev

That Slaps: Senior Hyyat Sabree and junior Liam Hurteau join in on the new wave of slang that has become popularized in North Atlanta.

Well, it’s time for the seemingly annual Warrior Wire story about current lingo used by the students, and for this assignment the editors chose the most unfit white boy possible to do it. Let’s take a gander at some of the lingo that you’ve probably heard within the walls of North Atlanta High School.

Bruh: Term used to express disappointment or frustration with a situation. Often used as a joke and not seriously. (It’s not 2014)  “Wow, I got a 25 on my trigonometry test, this is such a bruh moment.”

Straight: A word with as much versatility as straight deserves an article of its own due to how it can be used in any situation. It can often be used to express contentment, but also to say something is correct, something is satisfactory, to describe something as completely composed of something, to express if something is true, or to ask if someone is okay. “You want some of my food?” “No, I’m straight.”

That slaps: Mostly used to describe if something is good. Commonly used to describe music. “Hey man did you hear when the contrabassoon started playing in Beethoven’s fifth symphony in the 3rd movement? That slaps.”

Hokey pokey: Whenever a situation is ridiculous or dumb. Often used by middle aged men. Synonyms include “full of bologna,” “totally bonkers,” and “oh for crying out loud.”

Not gonna lie: Used when someone has no intent to tell an untrue statement. Often followed by something brutally honest or rude. “Not gonna lie, you are ugly.”

Say less: A better way to say “say no more.” When you want someone to know you’ll do what they want you to do. “Hey Throckmorton, will you go get me a drink from the vending machine?” “Say less, Tanner.”

That’s tuff: When something unfortunate happens and you want to express your condolences. Alternate spelling is “das tuff.” “Dude my MYP project is really embarrassing.” “That’s tuff.”

Sis: A phrase made popular by Ariana Grande fans. Serves as the female version of “dude.”

Yeet: Similar to “straight,” this word has several meanings. Its best use is as a sentence enhancer. Would you rather say, “I’m going to the school store to buy Tic-Tacs,” or “I’m going to the school store to buy Tic-Tacs, yeet.”

That’s Crazy: Used to express your deepest sympathies at something in the most heartfelt way possible. “Karen left me and she’s taking the kids.” “Wow, that’s crazy.”

Yessir: A contraction of the words “yes” and “sir”. Used to express jubilation. “I got a 90 on the retake of my trigonometry test. Yessir!”

On Jah, on froy, on Gekyume: When you want to show that you are being completely serious, put it on the late rapper XXXTentacion, whose real name was Jahseh Onfroy. You can also put it on his son Gekyume or his last name, Onfroy. “On Jah I didn’t cheat on that test.”

Buss Down: For context, listen to the song “Thotiana,” by legendary rapper Blueface. I do not feel comfortable describing what this phrase means in a school newspaper.

Yerrr: When you enter a function, be sure to scream this word at the top of your lungs to emphasize the magnitude of your arrival. “YERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!”

What do you mean. bro?: When you are perplexed by something that your friend has said, and do not know what they mean. “She doesn’t like you, chief.” “What do you mean, bro?”

(Big) Mood: When you want to express that you relate to someone else’s feelings or actions. “I really want to jump off a cliff right now.” “Mood.”

FR: An abbreviation of the phrase “for real.” When you agree with something and want to express that it is true. Used in texting. “Bro, JR Smith is better than Michael Jordan.” “FR.”

I felt that: When you resonate with or relate to lyrics in music. “When Kanye said, ‘poopity scoop, whoopty scoop poop’, I felt that.”

Oof: When you’ve encountered a difficult situation. “I got locked out of my house at 3 AM oof.”

Now you’re educated. Although you may have been clueless before, now the next time you hear anyone use the phrase, “Bro, what do you mean?” or “Not gonna lie”, you’ll know what to do. On behalf of the entire Warrior Wire staff, we hope this helps. Yessir.