Warriors Take Charge in New Peer Leadership Class

Warrior Weekly

Leading the Way: North Atlanta now offers a class helping students learn how to become leaders in their school and community.

Do you have what it takes to be a leader? Do you have confidence, good communication skills, and commitment? If so, then the new leadership class offered to students may be for you. For the first year ever, North Atlanta has offered upperclassmen this opportunity. Taught by American Government teacher and coach Jeremy Gainer, the class focuses on developing skills to create a better environment for students and teachers around the school. 

The class was first introduced by 12th grade assistant principal Jill Stewart after struggling to find electives for seniors. To solve this issue, Stewart developed the idea of the peer leadership class, which was an interesting elective for seniors and a good way to help improve school culture. This is the first leadership class to be offered at any school in Atlanta Public Schools. “This elective is a great opportunity for school leaders around the building to come together and do some great things,” Stewart said. 

The class is solely open to seniors and you must apply for the class junior year. To be accepted, you must be on track for graduation, have an 85 average GPA, and be a leader or team captain at North Atlanta. 

In class, students spend time discussing ethical dilemmas and talking about student life in general. This is all in an effort to better understand the school environment to help improve it in the best way the students can. Students also spend time helping teachers on other classrooms, mentoring and tutoring younger students. Each student has focuses on a different pathway, and they help teachers in this pathway. “As student leaders, we believe it is important to act as positive influences around the school,” said senior Mack Walker. 

Look out for these leadership students in the hallways, catch them between classes passing out conversation starters or mentoring students in class. If you feel you have what it takes to show leadership and want to make a change at North Atlanta, then the peer leadership class may be a good fit for you.