Softball Dubs Take a Swing at An Early Senior Night

Kenneth Smith

Night to Remember: What better way for the softball Dubs to celebrate their senior night than by putting an old-fashioned 13-0 drubbing on cross-town rivals Grady High School. The Class of 2021 seniors were part of a dramatic program turnaround for the school’s softball program. From left to right are Coach Ricky Plante, Emily McGreevey, Katherine McWhirter, Jillian Dacey, Daishalyn Satcher and Coach Wren Williams.

The one night athletes look forward to throughout their entire high school athletic career is none other than senior night. It’s a night of celebration, reflection and excitement. And it also is a night that represents the end of a years-long journey. However, this year all things are different and that holds true for athletic senior nights as well. 

For the North Atlanta High School softball team, senior night celebrations had to be dialed down out of an abundance of COVID-related caution. On Aug. 17 seniors Jillian Dacey, Emily McGreeevey, Katherine McWhirter and Daishalyn Satcher enjoyed an exciting, albeit less populated version of the traditional sendoff.

Assuming their season was to end due to coronavirus restrictions across the counties, the Lady Warriors took on Grady High School for their unprecedented early-in-the-season senior night. If the best way to celebrate was by beating an arch-rival then these Dubs knew how to do it right. The softball team demolished the Knights and by the time it was 13-0 in the 4th inning, mercy-rule protocols kicked in and the game was over. All four North Atlanta seniors scored at least one run. Dacey had an outstanding game behind the plate as a catcher, while McGreevey crushed it on the mound. McWhirter and Satcher sealed the deal in the outfield catching pop-flys left and right. “It felt good to get a solid win on our senior night,” McWhirter said. “Winning a game in this manner for a significant event like this is something I think we’d all like to get used to.” 

This year’s group of seniors have been through it all. They have seen the program at it’s very worst as well as it’s very best. Their freshman season, the team had a measly two wins over the course of a season. But as the program got stronger — something that happened in Class of 2021 player tenures — the program turned around and even records were established. Last year’s squad notched 15 victories, which was a program record for wins in a season. Throughout this progression there were major changes on the coaching staff, the region, and the game schedules. They went from playing around two games a week to playing three to seven games a week throughout the season. “This group of girls will definitely be missed, they have made an impact on this program both on and off of the field,” said head coach Ricky Plante.

Luckily the Lady Warriors’ season lived to see another day, and as for now the season is to go on as planned. This year they will face fierce competition, but these Lady Warriors have proven to never back down from a fight. Equipped with bats and hats — and masks for this year — this season is sure to be a grand slam.