Girls Run Fast: Townsend Emerges as Breakout Cross Country Star

Freshman+Sensation%3A+Catherine+Townsend+arrived+on+the+Warrior+cross+country+scene+this+season+and+immediately+began+making+headlines+and+school+cross-country+history.+Already+the+holder+of+school+records%2C+she+is+ranked+both+in+the+state+and+nationally+among+freshman+girls.+Townsend+was+a+big+reason+the+girls+team+made+it+to+the+state+championship+meet.+

Cabell Townsend

Freshman Sensation: Catherine Townsend arrived on the Warrior cross country scene this season and immediately began making headlines and school cross-country history. Already the holder of school records, she is ranked both in the state and nationally among freshman girls. Townsend was a big reason the girls team made it to the state championship meet.

In her first year as a Warrior, Catherine Townsend has already proven herself as one of the fastest runners in the state and the country. The freshman is ranked second in the state and 75th in the nation for freshmen girls, making her a strong addition to this year’s cross country team. Townsend turned heads on Oct. 3 when she ran the girls 5K event in a record breaking time, clocking in at a blistering 18:30 at the Asics Invitational in Fairburn. Not only did she set a personal best on that date, but she also set a school record for fastest 5K in Warriors girls cross-country history. It was quite a start for someone so new on the Warrior running scene.  

Townsend is known today for her stellar performance on the race course, but running for her was not always a competition. Like many great athletes, her love for the sport was forged early on in her life. Her running journey started around age 10 when her mother and she used to go for runs together in their neighborhood. It was during these mother-daughter loops around the block, that the young Townsend’s first competitive nature first started cropping up. “Before long, she was able to pretty much run ahead — and then away from me,” said Fran Townsend. “And she’s never really looked back ever since.”

For Townsend, these early days in the sport were all about two common F’s that motivate most runners —  “fun” and “fitness.” But as she progressed in both age and skill, she also began to see running’s social aspects. Beyond allowance for a healthy workout, running also afforded time for chats with friends. “For me it’s still very much a fun way to be active and to get to see people,” Townsend said.

The stakes changed in seventh grade, though. That was the year she earnestly took up running as a competitive sport as an athlete at Sutton Middle School where she ran both cross country and track. Hard training resulted in steadily improving times. By the time she reached high school, she was already among the fastest runners in the state in her age category. In her first meet as a Warrior on Sept. 5, she clocked an impressive 19:34, taking home second place in that 5K event in Cartersville. And as fast as that first outing was, even stronger performances were coming. Her record-breaking time at the Asics meet was nearly a minute faster than her first high school run.   

During this breakout season, she played a large role in carrying the girls cross country team to the state meet this year which was held Nov. 6 in Carrollton. While Townsend did not get the results she was hoping for at state, she still cleared the line with a top-10 finish and a time of 20:30. By all measurable standards, it was a true breakout season for the talented freshman. During her impressive first year, she placed in the top five in almost every one of her races. Townsend plans on running for the Warrior track team in the spring and looks forward to once again competing in the distance-run sport she’s grown to love. “Although it’s not so fun when you’re hurting, it’s the best feeling when you get that reward after a tough practice or a big meet,” Townsend said. “It’s those great moments that are the best part and that’s what got me hooked.”

Standout runner Catherine Townsend is breaking school records and making a name for herself on the high school running scene. Her times have not only secured for her plenty of podium finishes, but they’ve also cemented her rank among the country’s top high school runners. Go Catherine! Go Dubs!