Daylight Saving Time: North Atlanta Students Adjust To New Schedules

Fall Backwards: Sophomore Debora Getahun relishes the extra hour of sleep that comes with daylight saving time.

Debora Getahun

The majority of North Atlanta students have heard of daylight saving time, or the practice of advancing clocks during warmer months so that darkness falls later each day according to the clock. On the first Sunday of November, the clock was turned back and everyone gained an hour of sleep. In theory, an extra hour of sleep is beneficial; however, numerous students have claimed the opposite. 

It can take the body up to a week or more to adjust to daylight savings time. Until then, falling asleep and waking up later can be harder. According to North Atlanta students, daylight saving time has been disturbing their usual schedules for the past few days. “It makes me want to sleep earlier,” said sophomore Mya Cadenas. “I’m used to going to bed at a certain time, so it’s really messed up my schedule.”

Other students resent the lack of daylight in the evening. Previously, the sun hadn’t set until late at night. Now, it begins getting dark outside at 6:00. Since the idea of walking around in the dark is less than appealing, most students have been deterred from going on walks or venturing outside in the evening. “I usually start on homework as soon as school ends. That tends to take a few hours, and then I eat dinner, so I always end up walking my dog at 6:00 or 6:30,” said sophomore Mia Hsu. “But I hate walking in the dark, so now I have to walk my dog a lot earlier. It’s really annoying, because I usually have a set routine for these things.”

Others, however, feel positively about daylight saving time. According to them, the sunlight early in the morning begets cheerfulness and sets the tone for the rest of the day. “I normally wake up at 7:30, so it always used to be dark outside when I woke up,” said sophomore Iris Hull. “But now, it’s always light outside in the morning, and waking up to sunlight improves my mood so much.”

The extra sleep is also a positive in the eyes of many North Atlanta students. Even one hour can make a major difference in one’s mental and physical health. Students such as sophomore Debora Getahun serve as living evidence for that. “I personally love daylight saving time, at least in the fall,” said Getahun. “What’s not to like about an extra hour of sleep?”

Regardless of their opinion on the subject, it’s apparent that daylight saving time has caused many Warriors to have to alter their schedules, serving as just another change in an already tumultuous year.