All Eyes On Us: The Disheartening Reality of Being a Teenage Girl

Alexis Lubow

Tough Times for Teen Girls: Sophomore Alexis Lubow condemns current societal standards and discusses the adverse effects they have on teenage girls.

Being a girl comes with a lot of positives, like cute clothes, being let down by incompetent boys, and most notably, feeling vulnerable and unsafe when alone. Society today is oh so utopian, right? Sarcasm aside, women, specifically teenage girls, face struggles concerning their safety incredibly frequently, while men just do not seem to have this issue. When interviewed on this topic, girls expressed their distaste for societal expectations regarding women’s safety with discomfort, embarrassment, and, moreover, disgust.

After centuries of being viewed as merely an object for others’ pleasure, building a sense of mutual respect from men (as well as yourself) is an uphill climb that seems to have no peak. One of the most prominent manifestations of this disrespect is teenage girls’ inability to do things alone. In the eyes of men, simple actions such as going on a run, driving, walking, etc. seem like personalized invitations to objectify girls. This topic is one that is immensely difficult to understand if you have never been in this situation. The inability to feel control over your own body as a woman is horrendous. “Being in public alone makes me feel a sense of vulnerability that is difficult to explain- it feels like you are being watched, with a target on your back, a single wrong move at the wrong time- you are done. It’s honestly embarrassing.” said sophomore Maggie Andreski.

Comparatively, the male species has had a bit of a different experience with this matter. Boys just seem to receive and possess an elevated sense of respect from society as a whole; they take safety for granted and are naturally expected to succeed. This preconceived notion sprouts from the pattern of male superiority across the entire history of mankind, with men being hunters, kings, patriarchs, epic heroes, etc., and has allowed for the development of a greater appreciation for men as opposed to their female counterparts. When asked about feeling uncomfortable in public, an anonymous sophomore boy said, “No! I’m fine. I feel independent and not at all uncomfortable. I’m good. I bike. They can’t get me if i’m bikin. Go dubs!”

As illustrated above, the emotional distress of objectification between men and women does not compare. This absolutely proves the utter absurdity of society today. Going on a measly walk outside should not produce fear and discomfort, for females do not parallel as objects. Awareness is necessary but not present, and change is vital.