NAHS Performing Arts Presents Musical “Cabaret”

The North Atlanta High School Performing Arts Department is presenting “Cabaret” as its spring musical.

The influential and popular musical first opened on Broadway in New York in 1966 and was later made into a popular movie in 1972 starring Liza Minnelli. The musical is set in pre-World War II. It chronicles the nightlife at the Kit Kat Klub and the love interest between characters Sally Bowles, a cabaret performer, and Cliff Bradshaw, a writer. The club and its subplots serve as a metaphor for the threatened state of Weimar Germany and the rise of Nazi Power.

Lead performers in the NAHS-produced show are Palmer Brown, senior; Andrew Denning, senior; William Floyd, junior; Caroline Geckler, senior; Jianna Justice, senior; and Olivia Salsberg, junior. There are a total of 30 student performers in the performance. The musical’s director is Lee Pope.

Brown said this spring’s musical has a particularly poignant meaning because performers continued on toward the production’s completion without Linda Stevenson. The longtime theater arts instructor passed away on Feb. 13. Brown explained that it was Stevenson who first envisioned the musical for this spring. “She is the one who brought many of us into the program here at North Atlanta and this is certainly her kind of show,” he said. “It’s the kind of show that she always loved. It’s big and powerful and it has a strong message.”

The North Atlanta actors are dedicating this spring’s musical to Stevenson.

Tickets for “Cabaret” can be purchased at the door one hour before show time. Prices are $5 for students and $7 for adults, and tickets will be sold on a cash-only basis. Tickets can also be purchased online here, through the Atlanta Public Schools Online Payment site. The site can be accessed on the most recent edition of the Warrior Weekly, a publication of the North Atlanta Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA).

Show times are Thursday, April 24, Friday, April 25 at 7 p.m. There will be a Sunday, April 27, matinee show at 3 p.m. All performances are in the North Atlanta Auditorium located in the school’s Hillside Building.