Make It Count! Cast Your Ballot!: NAHS SGA Elections Approach

Shira Preis

Calling all voters!: Many North Atlanta Warriors created posters encouraging their fellow peers to use their SGA voting rights.

As elections draw near, North Atlanta students prepare for new Warriors to take charge. The Student Government Association, better known as SGA, organizes what is essentially the livelihood of student activities. They help to plan spirit days, homecoming, grade level fundraisers, and even prom. As elections near, the battle cry of “Vote for me!” can be seen on posters throughout the school.

SGA is led by its fearless leaders, Jennifer Page and Jenna Robinson. As the supervisors, they lead and regulate the election process. First, candidates must submit a form to declare their candidacy. This year, around 65 students are running, an increase from last year, with freshmen having the least candidates. To stand out from the crowd, candidates campaign by promoting who they are and what they stand for. Despite this being her first year, NAHS freshman Julia Promoff is already a campaigning pro. She has gone the same route as many others for her campaign, using both an Instagram page and posters that students can view around the school. “I believe that with enough campaigning, I can pull out a win,” said Promoff. “But, the student body will decide what’s best, so please choose your representatives wisely.”

For those who did not get the opportunity to run this year, or were too scared, do not fear. There are still many opportunities to help out and get involved around the school, which is highly recommended to do before running for office. Students can help with homecoming and other fundraising events throughout the year. If you are looking to run in the future, these events can help you to stand out against the crowd. “What truly catches my eye is action!” said Ms. Page. “A lot of people are all talk. SGA needs individuals who put their words to action.”

Students can look forward to voting in these elections the week of August 22nd. The ballot is expected to roll out through a program called Voting For Schools. The exact details of the release have yet to be figured out, as the voting system went through a complete remodel after Covid. Sophomore candidate Corrinne Evans said, “The ballot should be more publicized so that everyone gets a fair chance to cast their vote. They are working hard behind the scenes to make sure everyone gets a say.”

This year’s election is filled with strong candidates who reflect the spirit of the Dubs. Whoever is elected will carry on the Warrior fighting spirit that makes our school so excellent. So Dubs, make sure to vote for the best candidate to represent you!