Hard Work and Fun Strike the Right Notes for NAHS Orchestras

Stephen Lawrence, NAHS Orchestra Director

The North Atlanta High School Orchestras have started the year new academic year off strong by diving into new music and practicing hard for the season’s first concert that will be held in the North Atlanta Theater on October 21.

Orchestra students play in one of three orchestras. The concert orchestra consists of freshman, the symphonic orchestra is comprised of intermediate players, and the philharmonic orchestra is the school’s higher-level orchestra. The school’s orchestras currently contain a total of 110 students, 35 in the Concert Orchestra, 44 in the Symphonic Orchestras, and 31 in the Philharmonic Orchestra. The Symphonic and Philharmonic Orchestras are currently considered “performance ready.” The reorganization of the orchestras will hopefully help the productivity of the orchestras,” said Stephen Lawrence, the school’s orchestra director. “It’s really amazing for us to have the level of musicianship here.”

To assist young artists who might not own the expensive instruments they play, many student musicians rent their instruments through a service offered by the school. The rental service is made possible through seven financial grants from the Donor’s Choose Organization. The total amount from the organization has exceeded $9,000. Grant money was used to purchase four violins, three violas, and one electric violin. Funds also were used to purchase string rosin, a set of tuners, and metronomes, and to repair broken instruments. The goal, Lawrence said, is to ensure that all artists can develop their talents to their full extent, and that all can practice their craft both at school and at home. “We want to make sure that every musician is concert ready, and thanks to the fund, they should be,” he said.

Those looking at the orchestra from the outside might be inclined to think that participants are all buttoned-down and overly serious, a group of students who have no fun and only time for practice on arpeggios and compositions. But those from within the group know better about the true nature of the tightly-knit community. It’s not only all about music for orchestra members. Proof of this is the upcoming Warrior Games, an event now in its second year. During the games, students are split into five teams and teams compete in games. The coveted prize is becoming an “Orchestra Warrior,” the designation given to the winning teams. Other non-music related events for orchestra members are scary movie nights and off-campus lock-ins.

Fun is important, but the most important thing is building on the orchestra’s strong reputation, Lawrence said. NAHS orchestras are considered some of the best in the state and last year’s performance only further solidified the school’s renown. Both the Philharmonic and Symphonic Orchestras received the highest possible rankings at Large Group Performance Evaluation, a yearly competition of orchestras, bands, and choruses. The philharmonic practices after school every day. Rehearsals also can include Saturday training days, and day-long events with visiting orchestra teachers.

Lawrence has high hopes for the year. Many members have returned and new musicians have joined the ranks. “I know we’re going to have one of our best years yet,” he said.