Sabbatical Over: Spring Season Sports Return

Junior Stacy Carter, Sophomore Izzie Mock, and Senior Ana are warming up with a jog before Track & Field tryouts commence.

After the Dubs returned from holiday break, many athletes were preparing for the resurgence of spring season sports. However, before these teams can take on the upcoming season, they must first go through the tryout process: an equally stressful time for both returning players and newcomers. Just a week into the new semester, and tryouts were already beginning. Tryouts can be a stressful time for student-athletes, and not just because of the pressure of a coach’s watchful eye. Learning how to juggle both school and sports can take time to get accustomed to; nevertheless, the spring season must commence.

Soccer players all over North Atlanta were gearing up for tryouts just a few days into the new year. Their tryouts spanned an entire week. Junior Millie McLeod was one of over 60 girls to try out, making it an extremely competitive and intense atmosphere. McLeod has been on the Girl’s Varsity team since freshman year, but tryouts were still daunting. Her main goal for the season is to secure a starting position, so tryouts were the place for her to show her capabilities. “It was definitely a long five days, but it went well,” she said. “I’m glad the worst part is behind us!” 

Like soccer, track & field tryouts began soon after school started and took place for two weeks. Over 100 athletes tried out (many of them new), and roughly 70 made the team. Junior Lydia Dukes was one of many to successfully make the team. Dukes will be running three events: 100, 200, and 4×1. Their first meet is on February 11th, giving runners sufficient time to familiarize themselves with the track and their events.  “I am super excited about the upcoming season, but it will take time learning how to balance track and school,” she said. “It will definitely be an interesting season with all the new talent.” 

Lacrosse tryouts began a few weeks after the new year and were only three days. For the boy’s team, about 45 athletes tried out – one of them being senior Austin Elrod. He made Varsity as an attacker (offense). Due to the laid-back environment of the tryouts, Elrod was not nervous. “Tryouts were a lot better than last year,” he said. “The seniors really stepped up, and overall it was much more organized.” For the girl’s team, over 40 athletes tried out – a substantially higher amount than in past seasons. “It is so great to see the program grow,” said senior Virginia Brewer. “My sophomore year, we didn’t have enough players to make both JV and Varsity teams, but this year we have two full teams!” 

Spring season athletes have quite a productive semester ahead of them. Overall, athletes are enthusiastic about the return of their sports. The senior Dubs, like Elrod, will be enjoying their last time playing a high school sport. Some will go on to play these respected sports throughout their college careers. Nonetheless, all players will have the memories of their high school sporting careers to hold on to.