McClendon Named Education Support Specialist of the Year

Alicia McClendon was named 2016-2017 Education Support Specialist of the Year due to voting that took place by peer recognition in early-April. The award was announced during the last week of April.

McClendon is an Atlanta native and went to elementary, middle and high school through Atlanta Public Schools. She graduated from Booker T. Washington High School and went on to attend Gordon College, where she realized she wanted to work with kids. She majored in early education, and after graduating went on to work as a lead Pre-K teacher. Although she loved working with little kids, McClendon early on realized it was older students she really wanted to work with.

McClendon has been at North Atlanta for 10 years and has been working as North Atlanta’s Record Manager for 7 of those 10 years. “My first 3 years here I was the front office administrator, but being the school’s record manager suits me better,” she says.

As Records Manager, McClendon’s job can be demanding and stressful at times. Her priority is to assist with new students registration, and make sure each has a permanent record file. McClendon is also responsible for matching test scores with the corresponding student and making sure testing labels are on folders. “I love my job, but it can be overwhelming. I have to keep records maintenance for over 1800 children when there’s just one me,” she said.

McClendon describes her favorite part of being North Atlanta’s Records Manager is interacting with new parents and students. “We meet with the new parents and students before anyone else, and I take pride in making the parents feel comfortable with leaving their students here,” she says. “I like making the students feel like they will be in a comfortable and supportive environment upon entering North Atlanta.”