North Atlanta’s Got Spirit – Yes We Do

The+War+Zone+Spirit+Club+is+in+charge+of+increasing+school+spirit+in+the+NAHS+student+section.+

The War Zone Spirit Club is in charge of increasing school spirit in the NAHS student section.

Of the dozens of clubs at North Atlanta, one in particular has always been missing. The Spirit Club – also known as the War Zone – was started this year by students. The group has taken a fun approach on improving the overall school morale. The club’s mission is to promote school spirit and unite the student body by doing so. “We plan to improve spirit by getting everyone pumped up and informed about sporting events, coming up with fun themes for games or something even as little as making posters or painting windows,” said senior Caroline Ballou, one of group’s founders.

Ballou, along with senior Alaina Van Nort, founded the club earlier this year and already there’s been an impressive overwhelming support group of students, teachers and administrators. So far, they have recruited more than 100 members. “Eventually we want the whole student body to get into the War Zone,” Ballou said.

The spirit is seemingly catching on. At the football game against our rival Grady a whole throng of students crowded the student section. “It was the most students I have ever seen at a game,” said journalism Jack Stenger teacher. “It was packed.”

The student section shined with red, white and blue colored costumes, tutus, glitter, and anything USA themed. The spirit that night made an even larger impression on the community. High5Sports, a popular sports media run by Fox News, tweeted “Their team might be struggling tonight, but the North Atlanta War Zone is on point. #inyourface.”

The club has some exciting plans for the rest of the year including having Warrior walks and spirit rallies. They also hope to hold events outside of school hours. And as the year progresses, there’s hope that eventually each grade has a Spirit Club designate.

A new year brings new classes, new schedules, and now a new Spirit Club. Who said there’s no school spirit at North Atlanta?