Ruby De Paz Reaches Remarkable Heights  

Ambassador+for+Good%3A+Senior+Ruby+De+Paz+has+established+a+track+record+for+accomplishment+in+JROTC%2C+student+government%2C+lacrosse+and+more.+

Olivia Chewning

Ambassador for Good: Senior Ruby De Paz has established a track record for accomplishment in JROTC, student government, lacrosse and more.

Among North Atlanta’s JROTC students, Ruby De Paz is a prominent name. The senior, now in in her last semester of high school, is proud to be a four-year JROTC veteran. When she graduates in 2018, she will be one of many members of the senior class who will greet the date with bittersweet feelings. “It’s all gone by so fast and I have so many beautiful memories here and from my time in JROTC,” she said.

In the course of her four years in JROTC, De Paz has filled many roles. From platoon leader to drill team commander, she has made the most of the opportunities presented her. “I have become very connected to the drill team and we have become a family and we always support each other,” she said.

JROTC has helped De Paz improve her leadership skills and also her public speaking skills. “I have learned throughout my years in JROTC that I don’t have to be nervous when I speaking in front of people,” she said.

As a result of her exceptional performance in JROTC program and in other school organizations, she was selected this year to be a Young Superintendent Ambassador, one of the highest honors that Atlanta Public Schools confers upon student leaders.

With accomplishments in JROTC, Lacrosse, BETA Club, and SGA she has achieved greatness at North Atlanta and hopes to one day reach her goal of becoming a biomedical engineer. For college, she hopes to attend Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and she intends to major in biology. “I love designing things and biology is a very interesting subject and I get the best of both worlds with biomedical engineering,” she said.

Not only does De Paz participate in many extracurricular activities she is also a star student. She has awesome grades that in the end should help her get into her dream school. “Surprisingly I have good grades even with all of the other things I do, she said. “Sometimes that surprises even me,” she said.

Like any other student she takes breaks and enjoys watching funny videos and FaceTiming her friends. She also enjoys playing guitar in her free time. “I love the sound of the guitar and really think it is one of the most beautiful instruments ever invented,” she said.

The following oft-cited quote is attributed to American author H. Jackson Brown. “The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.” Few North Atlanta students embody the reality of this quote more than Ruby De Paz. Whether in JROTC, in clubs or on athletic fields of competition, she has proven herself. With her stellar track record, it’s certain she will graduate in May and move on to even greater things.