Filed under News, Showcase

Senior STAR Student Richard Hill Reaches New Heights

Richard Hill has managed to rise above average standards and score the highest SAT score out of all other seniors.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

If there is anything to be learned from high school, it’s that tests are hard. They come in all shapes and sizes, from the pop quiz the teacher gives on a Friday to the dreaded finals week before the sweet release of summer break. Of course, among these tests, one rises as the most notorious of all: the SAT.

Considered to be 25 percent of the overall college application, as well as being cutthroat in its time, the SAT has ingrained itself in high school “culture.” Forget about the monster under the bed — this is a typical teenager’s nightmare now.

However, there are some natural test-takers who rise above others. Senior Richard Hill is one of those few. With a near perfect score of 1570, he has claimed the title of the 2018 STAR Student. The award is based on getting the highest SAT score in a single sitting. Aside from that, there is a requirement of being in a certain position in class to make sure the STAR Student also gets good grades.

Being more of a math-oriented person, Hill made sure to focus more on working with the Language and Reading section of the SAT. His best strategy was to take several mock SAT tests, look over several of the questions he got wrong, and study whatever questions give him the most trouble. Rinse and repeat.

“The most challenging part was actually spending several hours outside of it doing it because it’s very boring to prepare for it,” Hill said. “But I just decided that it was worth it.”

Apart from the extraordinary high SAT score and being one of the top in his class, Hill also involves himself in several extra-curricular activities. He does parkour and martial arts outside of school and, inside, Mu Alpha Theta, the school’s math honor society. His goal is to pursue a career that he will enjoy that applies math, physics, or engineering.

One of his inspirations in school is from his favorite class: Calculus. “I have Mr. Ehrman for that and I think one, he’s a very good teacher and he teaches a good subject.” said Hill. “That’s why I picked him for the STAR teacher.”

Others seem to agree about Hill’s academic prowess and hard working ethic. “He’s always approached problems in math in a way that I wouldn’t necessarily have thought of,” said calculus teacher David Ehrman. “He’s definitely not afraid to ask questions, but a lot of the time he tries to investigate it himself and go above and beyond whatever formula we might be talking about and delve deeper into it.”

Tests are hard. SAT’s are harder. Excelling in school and being an all around well-rounded student is the most difficult of all. But with preparation, determination, and a sprinkle of inspiration, Richard Hill has risen up to be one of those students who shine bright against the night sky.