Ahead of Their Time: Apple Watches Arrive

Olivia Chewning

Sophomore Bennett Speir is one of many North students sporting the innovative Apple Watch on their wrists.

What time is it? Time for you to get a watch — and maybe an Apple watch.  Apple watches are on the rise in the United States and have become popular around North Atlanta High School. Students have been asking the following question, however: Are they worth the money?

The Apple watch was first introduced in 2015 around the same time that the iPhone 6s was released. By 2016, about 8 percent Apple iPhone users had purchased the watch.  

The price ranges from around $200 to as high as $1,000 for the newer models. With such a high price the watch has lofty expectations to meet. Some common features are the activity tracker, maps and music. You can also add apps from the app store such as Instagram and games.“I can text people, scroll through my feed and buy drinks from Starbucks all from my wrist,” said sophomore Hannah Hume.

Apple watches can be pricey and for some the expense can be a deal breaker. Older refurbished models can knock the price down from almost $500 to around $200. “Honestly they are really expensive, but I got mine refurbished at a lower price and I’m really glad I got it,” said Hume.

The watch especially comes in handy in situations where you either can’t reach your phone or you don’t want to get it out. It even has a feature to help you find your phone if you misplaced it. “My watch is always there I can easily check to see the time and do so many other things and all I have to do is look down at my wrist,” said sophomore Ashley Humphrey.

The battery life of the watch is another thing to talk about. The battery is not always reliable. For most people the watches battery barely lasts a full day. “The battery on my watch sucks and when it dies I will forget to charge it for a week,” said Hume.

Apple watches are also very customizable. In most watches you have one watch face but with Apple watches you can create and choose as many faces as you want. You can also mix and match watch bands. From leather bands to exercise bands there is a band for every occasion.

Apple watches have many positive aspects but the price is one thing most people can’t get over. The watch functions as a tiny phone on your wrist that can do almost anything a phone can do. Whether you get one or not Apple always has new and innovative technology.  So for those who want to be ahead of the times, the Apple watch is right on time.