The Victorious Ways of Junior Pedro Victor

De'Asia Dozier

Bem-vindo! Junior Pedro Victor enjoys exploring the different aspects of America after arriving from Portugal.

Dressed in ripped black jeans and Vans and blasting rock music through his headphones, new student Pedro Victor walked through the doors of North Atlanta High School on August 1 ready to succeed in the new school year. Victor is joining the junior class and recently made the move from his home country of Portugal.

Victor moved to Atlanta over the summer from Lisbon. His move was a result of his mom’s job and he has enjoyed his few months in “The A” so far. He is fluent in both Portuguese and English and he also speaks quite serviable Spanish. He started to learn English in first grade and has spoken it ever since.

When asked what his favorite thing about the United States was, he had one word: “Target.” Target is an extremely popular cultural icon in America, so Victor was constantly exposed to the large department store-slash-slice of heaven when he moved here. This new experience shocked and enticed the Portugal native. “I was surprised and overwhelmed by just how many different things they sold,” said Victor.

North Atlanta students have been welcoming to Victor and he has enjoyed the students and teachers that have made the 11-story building feel like home. He is making new friends and meeting new people every day. Although he has made many new friends, he still thinks about the old ones back home. “I really miss my friends back home and wish I could see them more, but here I am,” he said.

While most food in Atlanta is different than that in Portugal – and he likes the food in Portugal better – most of the fast food is the same. One big difference is Chick-Fil-A, one of the most popular fast food restaurants in Georgia that Victor has yet to try. “I am too stubborn to try Chick-Fil-A just yet,” he said.

Like many of his peers, Victor enjoys watching YouTube videos in his free time. He is a reader, a self-taught guitar player and a member of the Robotics Club, for which he programs. Currently, Victor is reading Aristotle. “Programming is cool but it can be stressful,” he said. “I need an outlet to relax sometimes.”

Victor is a student with many talents and an interesting back story. It’s not every day that North Atlanta gets a new student from another country and Victor is fitting in quite well. Make sure to look out for him in the hallways and say “Hi” even if his black jeans and Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt are a bit intimidating. For there’s nothing off-putting — and a lot to like — about Pedro Victor.