Community Leader: Nneka Otuonye’s Commitment to Advocacy and Service

Trinitii Baggett

Well-rounded Warrior: Senior Nneka Otuonye has proven herself to be a strong leader and volunteer of a range of organizations during her time at NAHS.

Throughout senior Nneka Otuonye’s high school journey, community service has become the highlight of her various cultural experiences. Along with her ability to display selflessness, her passion to help those in need has been greatly admired. There are many students at North Atlanta High School that are well respected and without a doubt, she is among the top of her class. Her reputation as a peer leader has made certain her powerful impact will be recognized for years to come.
While attending Sutton Middle School, she became a member of the Beta Club and enjoyed engaging in service opportunities. She took her responsibility seriously with the hopes that her actions and positive attitude will inspire her peers along the way. “When I was 11-years old I became active in community service to put others first and meet the required hours to stay in the club,” Otuonye said.
In the seventh grade, she got involved in the dance group called ‘Focus Children Organization’ and shared the same goals as many of the dancers. They sponsor activities such as fundraisers and dance at events like weddings and African cultural gatherings. Among many metro Atlanta residents who can trace either their own or their family’s roots to Africa. “I visit Nigeria with my family in the summer but during the summer of 2020, COVID-19 halted that,” said Otuonye.
The topic of Nigeria is a deeply personal one for Otuonye as she holds Nigerian culture close to her heart. Her entire family is from the country and she has made multiple trips to her ancestral home to visit relatives. Although she lives in the U.S. the cultural values in Nigeria have helped her become who she is today. “I believe that Nigerian values are the basis of my perspective when it comes to the world,” she said.
One of her favorite memories is participating in the Mwanwu Festival where their ancestors are represented during masquerades and are used to honor them. On Christmas Day she loves to eat traditional meals such as rice and stew, Moi Moi, and egusi soup. “My culture is most impactful to my morals and perception of food because I enjoy eating spicy food more,” she said.
For all African community gatherings, all funds raised go toward the Atlanta Igbo School which is located in Forest Park, Georgia. The Igbo is an ethnic group in Nigeria and both of Otuonye’s parents are from the Igbo tribe. “After dancing at many of the events I realized that community service does not have one definition,” said Otuonye. “You can volunteer in different ways like tutoring people much different than dancing and not have to limit yourself.”
Her prominent leadership roles as the president of the Black Student Union, parliamentarian of Beta Club, and secretary of the Orchestra Council have allowed her to improve inclusivity at school. Fortunately, the pandemic didn’t stop her as her junior year was spent volunteering with the organization called ‘Chain of Hope’ led by junior Ella Kauffman. Their purpose is to talk with students who don’t have anyone else and send them inspirational videos for encouragement. Also, they visit nursing homes and hospital residents to lift their spirits and give them something to look forward to. Most importantly, community service has strengthened her communication skills and given her a better outlook on her environment. “I feel like community service has positively impacted me because I’m more aware of the issues around me,” she said.
Otuonye’s energy has been noted by peers and teachers alike during afterschool programs. Those who know her well marvel at the wellspring of energy she draws from and often wonder how she keeps up. “Nneka’s positive attitude and leadership role in BSU has made the club fun and welcoming for students,” said Physics teacher Gregory Baeza, who also acts as the faculty sponsor of the Black Student Union. “She really takes it a step further by bringing her fun energy to the soccer field as well.”
Above all, lending your voice to help others can benefit everyone by running for class president, voting for the royal court, or giving the morning announcements. The first step for individuals to be successful makers of change is to look at the man in the mirror. “This journey that community service has taken me on has made me conscious of how I can help others and not stay in my bubble,” she said.
Even though her senior year is almost over she has continued to surpass the required community service hours needed to graduate. In the future, she plans to go to an underdeveloped country to assist in the medical field. She wants to attend a college that prioritizes her desire to study medicine on a pre-med track.
An organization that has motivated her is ‘Doctors Without Borders’ whose mission is to provide aid to people without borders being a barrier. Along with her ambition and knowledge gained of the importance of giving back, there will be no shortcomings of the accomplishments she wants to achieve.