Crunch Time: The Pressing Problem of Brief Lunch Periods

Kenzie Crow
Fast Food (literally): Current limited lunch hours do not allow for a proper mid-day meal.

Picture this: after the first half of your exhausting school day is completed, the much anticipated (and much needed) break of lunch time has arrived. You wait for the elevator, which generally takes copious amounts of time (a separate problem that also needs attention), finally make it to the cafeteria, say a brief hello to your friends, open your delectable lunch, and begin to dig in. However, before you can even start, that dreadful bell rings, and lunchtime is over almost as quickly as it started. Unfortunately, this is a scenario not foreign to a vast majority of the Dubs, who have had to become quite accustomed to the rush resulting from the brief period allotted to lunchtime. 

Much to our dismay, current hours do not account for the time necessary for us to take our time with our mid-day meals, and it is a problem making the already hectic school day even more draining. In my opinion, getting some food in my system is absolutely necessary to my success as a student. All things considered, my fellow classmates and I only get around 10 minutes actively in the cafeteria. While the school technically allots a meager 22, this does not account for the time it takes to get down crowded flights of stairs, wait for elevators that are frequently experiencing breakdowns, and still manage to make it to class on time, and for those who don’t bring their own lunch, waiting in the school lunch line takes away even more time to eat. 

Additionally, this time of the day is an opportunity for students to obtain some much-needed socialization, which is nearly impossible with the current timing situation. Of course, school is mostly about getting work done and actively engaging in a learning environment. Because of this, some may see that prioritizing class time is more significant than that of a period of socialization. However, having some sense of socialization with peers and establishing a sense of community are vital components of a healthy school environment that current time restrictions are not fostering. 

Ultimately, the class periods filled with stress and academic pressure make the short lunch break a crucial respite, both physically and mentally. In order to have the most focused, energized, and proactive students, lunchtime must be made a priority in students’ day-to-day lives.