Unleashing the Midweek Magic: Why Asynchronous Days Should be Reconsidered

Mary Dewberry
Education Unbound: Junior Ellie Winslade much prefers the steady and calm pace of asynchronous days to stressful in person learning.

Picture this: rolling out of bed, unburdened by the relentless ticking clock, and instead of diving into the morning rush, finding a pattern of flexibility. Asynchronous Wednesdays, with their now-ended streak, would break the monotony of regularly regimented schedules, offering a chance for students to move to their own academic beat. Without the classroom hustle, the day can unfold like a choose-your-own-adventure novel. Will it be tackling math problems in pajamas or writing an essay while cuddling up with a pet dog? The possibilities are as endless as the tabs on a computer browser.
In the world of education, the Covid-era debate surrounding in-person and asynchronous learning has recently gained support. With the conventional classroom model presenting challenges, students, parents, and educators grapple with the need for adaptation. The argument for reintroducing asynchronous days into the academic calendar grows, recognizing diverse learning styles that became apparent during the pandemic. After months of relentless stress and early mornings, students would surely be ready for the switch from long, rigid school days to flexible and productive virtual learning days.
Skeptics might argue that without the structured classroom environment, chaos could ensue. But here is the secret: independence fosters responsibility. It is like being handed the keys to a car and realizing you are the driver of your own education. Asynchronous Wednesdays would not just give students a break, they would empower them to make their way through the academic jungle. Think about it—no more racing against the clock to scribble down notes or pretending to be engrossed in a discussion just to avoid dreaded eye contact with the teacher. Instead, there is a front-row seat to an on-demand learning experience. The absence of quotes and structured lessons does not mean anyone is left in the educational wilderness. Asynchronous Wednesdays would offer a chance to explore resources beyond the curriculum. Dive into documentaries, embark on Wikipedia rabbit holes, or unravel the mysteries of YouTube tutorials—the world is our educational oyster.
Critics might argue that the absence of a teacher’s watchful eye could lead to slacking off, but this only underestimates the power of intrinsic motivation. In truth, asynchronous days will likely motivate students to finish tasks on their own schedule. By creating their own deadlines and consequences, they will find motivation within rather than constantly looking to a reward system for motivation. Asynchronous Wednesdays unleash the dormant scholar within us, letting passion—not deadlines—fuel our quest for knowledge.
So, here’s to the midweek oasis of Asynchronous Wednesdays—the disruptor and unscheduled marvel that once made learning fun and feasible. As exhausted students continue to navigate the maze of education, it is important to remember the unmatched productivity that came from those balanced schedules.