Superior Song Selections: What are the best songs suited for the NAHS Intercom?

Bradley Koontz
Trendy Tunes: Sophomore Maddie Fluke, encourages a super awesome song for the intercom!

The North Atlanta intercom is notorious for its wake-up tunes and its class-closing songs at the end of the day. Every NAHS student gets the joy of hearing the wonderful words, “I’m a hero,” without fail every day when 3:45 comes around. This song is a classic and has been around for years, but what could be the superior song for this important job? “September” by Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Despite the established popularity of the North Atlanta High School classic, “I’m a Hero,” there is a growing sentiment that it’s time for a refreshing change. With the dawn of a new year, embracing a new anthem that will infuse 2024 with a sense of renewal and vibrancy is important. “September” by Earth, Wind, and Fire emerges as the perfect candidate, with its infectious and celebratory melody. The lively rhythm of “September” makes the challenging task of waking up for the first period much easier, and also makes it perfect for the job. The repeating “Ba-Dudas” creates an invigorating tune to wake people up in the morning, working much better than the old “I’m a Hero” song. Not only does this song benefit the student body’s mood, but it has been scientifically proven that upbeat music in the morning is better to wake up to, and increases productivity. The fast tempo brings consciousness and joy to your brain, which is especially important for the beginning of the school day, and honestly, waking up to fun music is the best way to wake up anyway. This song’s improvement to bring happy tunes will boost the positivity of the student body and bring cheer throughout NAHS. The song’s incredible energy also boosts morale and excitement about the day ahead. By creating a lighthearted and content mood for the students “September” is truly the best song to wake students up in the morning. 

Not only is “September” a perfect song for the morning, but it doubles as an excellent song for the afternoon announcements too. The celebratory melody is perfect for celebrating the end of the school day. Making it through the treacherous class periods really does require an upbeat tune to finish out the day. Bringing on some cheer and excitement as students leave the school will also help to increase their productivity for extracurriculars and of course, completing their dreaded loads of homework. Ending the day feeling accomplished is important to the morale for students and increases the desire to go to school the next day. “September” serves as a multifaceted musical companion, not only uplifting mornings but also contributing to the overall well-being and motivation of the student body throughout the entire school day. 

As the debate over the morning anthem at NAHS rages on, the timeless classic “I’m a Hero” has long been the faithful wake-up tune for students. However, with the dawn of 2024, a call for change has resonated within the student community. Enter “September” by Earth, Wind, and Fire, a song that not only eclipses the familiar “I’m a Hero” but also transcends its morning anthem role, seamlessly transitioning into the afternoon announcements.