Kyra Vandiver: A Woman of Excellence

Senior+Kyra+Vandiver.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Senior Kyra Vandiver.

Kyra Vandiver, the president of the Women of Excellence, has had a significant effect on North Atlanta High School. As the senior navigates her final year and gets ready to move on to college, she is working hard to build on her track record for affecting positive change at North Atlanta.

Vandiver said she is enjoying her last year of high school and is making sure to participate in whatever she can. This holds true as she ran for Miss North Atlanta, is the President of the Women of Excellence, and is also a football manager. In past years she was a Warrior Wire staff writer and has been a yearbook staff member for the last two years. “Whatever she puts her mind to, she is truly committed to it,” said Antoine Everhart-Chappelle, a world history teacher.

Everhart has known Vandiver for most of her high school career. The two are close and the senior regards him as something of a paternal figure – almost like a “school dad.” “Kyra is a very intelligent, outgoing, energetic and driven young lady,” Everhart said.

He mentioned that Vandiver is spearheading a first-ever community service project for Women of Excellence and is also organizing a school-wide initiative to help students build up their self-esteem.

According to many students she is the embodiment of a strong role model. The positive “Kyra effect” has been felt by junior Jasmyn Combs. “She’s very trustworthy and someone I’ve looked up to for a long time,” said Combs.

As for her personal goals, Vandiver is working toward them one day at a time. While balancing her final year of school, she is making sure to stay focused. “I want to work hard for my future because hard work pays off. You have to pushing or else you’re going to take a big ‘L’,” she said.

Vandiver plans to attend St. John’s University in New York City to major in film. Starting off her career, she said she hopes to stay in New York and work for an advertising or marketing agency. Her ultimate career goal is to become a director in the movie industry.

Reflecting on her high school path, Vandiver is philosophical about how quickly the time has passed, but she is happy with what she’s taken on. “It was all a lot of hard work but I know that everything I’ve done has helped me develop as a person. North Atlanta has been a great support system and it’s given me opportunities to see things in different ways,” she said. “What I’ve been doing here is building a foundation for what’s to come next and I’m ready for it.”

Vandiver’s legacy is one of action and activity. And long after she leaves the school’s hallways, her accomplishments will live on.