Filed under Showcase, Sports

Rowdy and Proud: My View of The Atlanta United Parade

Rowdy+and+Proud%3A+Seniors+Alexis+Elrod+and+Sadie+Fitzgerald+took+in+the+Atlanta+United+championship+parade+in+downtown+Atlanta.+

Rowdy and Proud: Seniors Alexis Elrod and Sadie Fitzgerald took in the Atlanta United championship parade in downtown Atlanta.

Taylor Hunter

Taylor Hunter

Taylor Hunter

Atlanta United has taken the soccer world by storm with their undying passion that has united a city in red, black and gold. Their bold Dec. 8 win of 2-0 over the Portland Timbers in the MLS cup means a championship has come home to Atlanta, which has been in the making since 1995. Now that Atlanta has a winning team, it is time to hoist the cup for the supporters of the squad in a parade full of celebration.

The parade was held on December 9, where it kicked off at 10 a.m. in downtown Atlanta, with the route leading straight to Mercedes-Benz Stadium where a rally took place in honor of the team. The team paraded down Baker Street in an open-top bus with thousands of Atlanta’s most supportive fans lining the path, some even following the squad behind the bus festooned with the team’s colors. Leading the parade were the founding members of the squad who have been a part of the building of the championship team since it was created, along with members of the supporter groups Terminus and Footie Mob.

Famous civic leaders like Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, Governor Nathan Deal, as well as the club’s and Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank were also in attendance.

North Atlanta students were also in attendance among the United faithful, including senior Dante Bastien. He is a season-ticket holder and has attended a majority of the games this season to support the hometown team. “I’ve followed the team all season long, and I feel like if I’ve supported them all season, so the event was not going to be an exception,” said Bastien. “It was an amazing experience that I’ll remember forever.”

Senior Catherine Johnson was also in attendance for the parade, noting that her love for the team and for the city made the trip to downtown a must. “I have been a fan since I attended Atlanta United’s first ever game,” said Johnson. “It was a given that I would go and support the whole team and be able to celebrate all that they have accomplished in only two years.”

As the celebrations come to an end, the squad that brought Atlanta a championship will be one to remember for decades to come. It is only the beginning for Atlanta United, who united a city unlike any other.