Teacher to All: IB Teacher Ms. Randolph Reflects on Teaching Overseas

International Wisdom: IB Business Teacher Ms. Randolph has dedicated her career to teaching her students not only business, but good life choices.

We are 1 in 3,421– at least when it comes to the IB program. Junior year of high school is a pivotal time in the lives of many students. Becoming upperclassmen grants them many opportunities, including entrance to the IB program. The international baccchaleaureate program is known in the 11 stories of North Atlanta for being extremely rigorous but also very rewarding. But, what is IB like in other countries?

Luckily, that question does not go unanswered thanks to IB Business teacher Ms. Randolph. Although she was seemingly born to teach, she began her professional career in a corporate setting. After 20 years there, her boss Jim Murphy suggested she look into teaching. “He called me into his office and asked if I had ever thought about teaching,” she said. “I thought he was firing me.”

In 2011, Randolph went back to school and earned her teaching degree from the University of Phoenix. From there, she became a substitute teacher before teaching at Riverwood High School in Sandy Springs, officially becoming an IB teacher in 2016. Her dreams came true, and then, she was given the chance to teach abroad. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do forever, even before I became an educator.”

After selling her house, car, and uprooting her life to move to Sharjah, a city 30 minutes from Dubai, she became an elementary school teacher. Even though she had originally moved to teach IB, the job was no longer available. She decided not to let that get in the way of her experience abroad and took the elementary position for a year. “It was awesome actually. I found I really liked teaching little kids,” said Randolph.

After a last minute decision to attend a job fair, where she was offered four jobs, she began teaching Introduction to Business and Technology (an IB course) at the American School of Bombay. She did not find many differences between the IB program offered in India and the United States, but a profound change in how students took advantage of it. “I think in the USA, we have a lot of opportunities at our fingertips which is why education is not valued the same.”

Her parting wisdom for all students was to simply have an open mind. Taking the opinions of others with a grain of salt is a skill everyone could benefit from. “Had I listened to people telling me not to go abroad, I would not be where I am today.” she said. And alas she says to “never let others decide your future.”