A Colorful Addition to North Atlanta: NAHS Welcomes New Art Teacher Mario Padilla

Shira Preis

Drawing a blank with your art? Meet new NAHS art teacher Mario Padilla! Padilla has excitedly joined the NAHS art department and has been working to inspire his students.

The art department at North Atlanta is nothing short of exceptional. From set design to the cranes displayed in the atrium, the impact of their creativity and artistry is evident all over the school. These artists, however, do not set out on their journey alone. Each year these students are led by extraordinary teachers who are happy to guide students through the creative process. This year is no different as Mario Padilla joins this team of artists in hopes of inspiring a new generation.

Originally from Colombia, Padilla can be recognized throughout the school by his flamboyant accent. He arrived in the U.S. after graduating from college, moving to New Orleans for an art show he was featured in. From there he immediately fell in love with the vibrancy of the city and the person who would later become his wife. He said, “New Orleans is just such a fun place, and then once I met my wife I didn’t have a reason to move back to Colombia.”

While in New Orleans, Padilla started his teaching journey by working at various schools in the city. While there, he grew as a teacher by learning to quickly adapt to help various types of students. He eventually ended up moving to Atlanta and getting an art teaching job within the APS district. While at North Atlanta, he wants to incorporate his art knowledge by helping with existing clubs or ones trying to start. “I got into teaching knowing I’d be involved, so of course, I’ll help with any clubs they need,” he said.

Despite only being here a couple of weeks, there are already glowing reviews of his class circulating the student body. Many appreciate that Padilla treats them with respect and understanding, instead of little kids who know nothing. While his grading system may be strict, many still find themselves enjoying the class. Keelin LaHiff, a sophomore in Visual Arts Comp 1, acknowledges that the class is just the basics of art. Padilla could very easily treat them with little dignity or respect but instead approaches the class in an open way that encourages students to do well. “In his class, he doesn’t act like you know nothing like teachers did in elementary and middle school. He treats us with respect,” LaHiff said.

If you see Padilla in the hallway make sure to say hi and strike up a conversation. Who knows, maybe you’ll learn about Colombian culture or learn how to become a better artist. One thing is for sure, however. Mario Padilla makes an excellent addition to NAHS and will help our school’s art department grow.