A Tale of Two Quarterbacks: Warriors Poised for Gridiron Gold

A+question+with+no+right+answer%3A+Quarterbacks+Trey+Lennon+and+Ian+Reynolds+form+APSs+most+elite+QB+room.+

Henry Peck

A question with no right answer: Quarterbacks Trey Lennon and Ian Reynolds form APS’s most elite QB room.

It is a question as old as football itself – what kind of quarterback does your team run through? Do you go with the traditional pocket passer like legends Tom Brady or Payton Manning or the scrambler who uses their legs more akin to the likes of Lamar Jackson and Michael Vick?

This season the Dubs are experiencing the same problem, but they do not see it that way. The Warriors have two impressive quarterbacks, both of whom bring unique assets to the team. It is a good problem that any team would gladly take on and it gives North Atlanta unique opportunities on the field.

Last year’s starter, Trey Lennon, is a versatile quarterback who uses both the air and the ground effectively. His playstyle is electric, leading to impressive scrambles for significant yardage. Lennon’s versatility was richly on display during the team’s season-opening win over North Forsyth. Lennon, for example, was able to revive a crucial late-game drive by rolling outside the pocket extending the play, and finding running back Hunter Davis for the fourth-down conversion. His dual-threat ability was on full display with five total touchdowns, including three in the air and 2 using his legs. Like most High School quarterbacks his accuracy and decision-making can sometimes be called into question, but his ability to make up for those mistakes through his athleticism and talent is a redeeming and rewarding quality. “Tre is an electric player. He can turn a game around in an instant. His leadership and confidence are unmatched and I’ve never seen anyone like him,” said junior linebacker Julian May.

On the other hand, young sophomore star Ian Reynolds possesses both an imposing frame and cannon for an arm. These were evident in the “Battle For The Hill” against a formidable Westminster team where he led the Dubs to four touchdowns and a victory against the bitter in-town rival. While Reynolds is not quite the caliber of athlete as Lennon, he still possesses enough of a pocket presence to maneuver around pressure and the speed to escape downfield or even do some damage on a designed run. His accuracy is unmatched and was on full display when he connected with Davis in the corner of the endzone against Westminister. “ Ian is elite. He can do everything. He has a cannon for an arm and always finds the open man,” said sophomore quarterback Rigsby Gullett.

No matter which quarterback Head Coach Jamie Aull decides to have take the field, one thing can be assured. He is guaranteed a top-tier play caller that rivals any of their competitors. Does he go with the experienced, more athletic speedster who can turn a wasted play into a huge gain or the imposing, up-and-coming sophomore with a cannon for an arm and unparalleled knowledge of the game? If you were in Coach Aull’s shoes, which guy would you make QB1?