Bringing the Spirit Back: Will Pep Rallies Make a Comeback?

There is nothing a crowd full of teenagers loves more than a reason to celebrate. Luckily, attending a public high school, there is no shortage of reasons to cheer! From our state-winning cross country team to our stellar softball team, North Atlanta Warriors are full of talent that we never let go unnoticed. However, in the past few years, our building has lacked one of the most traditional forms of student support and celebration: pep rallies.

The reason behind this disappearance is one we have heard too often: Covid-19. With the spread of a pandemic, packing a student body of over 2,000 students into the gymnasium is understandably not the smartest decision. This means the only students in the building who’ve ever experienced the excitement of a North Atlanta pep rally are our current senior class. “I think that pep rallies are really important in bringing students together and creating school pride,” said junior Anabelle Whitehead. “I would love to go to one if they’re ever brought back.”

What the students want, the students shall get; there just might be talk of bringing the pep back to NAHS. Any event of that magnitude involves a lot of planning- from administrators, student government, and all the teams and clubs involved, but our administration is working to determine if pep rallies could possibly make a reappearance sometime soon. “SGA is working hard to plan our first pep rally of the school year,” said SGA vice president Luke McCullough. “We can’t say when it will be yet, but we’re really excited to bring them back!”

In the years before the reality of school shifted, North Atlanta aimed to have three pep rallies a year. These could include a homecoming pep rally, athletics-focused pep rallies, arts-focused pep rallies, and more. The most accessible type – and the only type that stayed through the Covid years – was a walk-around pep rally, where teams and clubs would parade through the school. Every time, no matter the form, the students loved them. “North Atlanta has never had a bad pep rally,” said athletic director Andre Regan. “They have always been a success.”

However, logistically, planning may prove to be a more challenging feat as we reintegrate pep rallies back into the life of North Atlanta. With an ever-growing student population, the gymnasium does not fit the entire school, meaning multiple events would be required if the whole school were to attend. It’s also important to note that although pep rallies are traditionally an exciting event among high schoolers, the current students of North Atlanta may not be as receptive. “It’s an opportunity to invigorate the student body,” said Regan. “However, we don’t know what they will look like going forward because our students are unfamiliar with pep rallies and may be disengaged.”

Whatever pep rallies may look like in the future, Warriors are ready to show their school pride and celebrate their peers. Will this be the year the Warriors finally get their pep back?