The Rise of Screenagers: Students Face an Abundance of Screen Time

Ayana Ragin

Junior Sophia Trasher shares her screen time report of the previous week with a whopping eight hours total of screen usage daily.

In a world where technology and digital media run our lives, staying present and focused is a constant battle. Fighting to stay concentrated on in-class assignments and homework without being distracted by a tiny computer is seemingly impossible. Our society is, without a doubt, dependent on screens, whether for academic or recreational use. This is the very reality that high school students around the world face, including our very own Dubs. 

Attempting to refrain from using your phone is not always an easy task. It takes strong willpower that not all students have. Junior Ellie Dumont, however, has a rather elite sense of self-control. All it takes is a missing assignment notification from Infinite Campus for her to tuck her phone in a drawer and get to work. Dumont has found that when she breaks away from the tug of her phone, she can engage in activities she loves such as reading, creating art, and listening to music on a record player. “I think it is normal to feel the need to check social media so you know what is going on at all times,” she said. “Our whole society is based on technology, which makes staying away from it a difficult feat.” 

Those that have enabled screen time alerts turned on their phones can see exactly how many hours they dedicate to their phones each day. Every Sunday, Apple phone users receive a screen report, breaking down their screen time for the past week. The report displays how many hours you spent on each specific app daily as well as the total amount of time spent on the app throughout the entire week. Senior Gage Crites is among this community of individuals that have elected to receive a screen time report every Sunday. Crites’ average screen time on his latest report showed him dedicating an average of five hours a day to his phone. This report does include the hours that Crites, and numerous other students, spend on their computers during the school day and at home. “I honestly do not know why I have my screentime report on,” Crites said. “I never take time out of my day to reflect on it. I do not care very much about my screen time and I am not looking to cut down on the time I spend on my phone.” 

Not only does social media contribute to copious amounts of phone usage among students, but so does school. Almost every assignment nowadays involves some sort of technology to complete it. This makes limiting one’s screen virtually impossible. The fact that everything is digital, including most schoolwork, makes teenagers’ screen time skyrocket. “This newfound reliance on technology in school definitely does not help me lessen the time I spend in front of a screen,” said junior Sophia Thrasher. “Even when I try to restrict myself, it just doesn’t work!”

This is the reality for NAHS students – quite the predicament to say the least. Attempting to lessen screen time in a world of social media, but then also having to complete school assignments that require you to be hunched over a screen, how ironic.