There’s A New Teacher Rattling Around the School: Meet Dr. Indiana Bones

Shira Preis

Mrs. Tripp and Dr. Indiana Bones work to incorporate history and Halloween as one.

As cool weather approaches, so does spooky season. This is evident by a drive through any neighborhood, a scroll through the TV, and even a glance into the classrooms of NAHS. Plenty of teachers at North Atlanta have gotten into the spirit of Halloween by decorating their classrooms during the changing of the seasons. These decorations, brighten up many students’ days and help to create a fun atmosphere throughout the building.

Among these teachers that have chosen to decorate their classrooms is Caitlin Tripp. She has recruited the help of Dr. Indiana Bones to liven up her room. Tripp has been wanting to do this for years now but was prevented from doing so when the pandemic hit. Now that school is back to normal, she has decided to go all out with her decoration of choice: a skeleton clad in various historical costumes and window stickers for her door. So far, she’s been relying on student donations to continue to dress up Dr. Bones. While the skeleton has only just come out in time for spooky season, Tripp has decided to keep it up as her co-teacher all year and will be changing its outfits to fit with the unit she’s teaching at the time. “I love changing the costumes and I think the students love Dr. Bones too,” she said. “We’re just keeping things exciting and spooky all year!”

Tripp’s students also find great joy in Dr. Bones as they get to experience the skeleton in person and on Tripp’s Instagram page. It is always super exciting to walk into the room and be greeted by Dr. Bones’ latest fashion statement. During class, Tripp can reference her co-teacher Dr. Bones because its outfit often correlates with the unit and the discussion of the day about various historical figures. Dr. Bones also brightens up many students’ days when they see the skeleton, as it brings a smile to their faces to see something so fun being incorporated into the room. Sam Riddick-Seals, a sophomore and student of Tripp, loves seeing Dr. Bones and its journey through new costumes. “I love all of its fits and it’s for sure another casual Ms. Tripp W,” they said.

Whether or not you have Tripp as one of your teachers, you should still make it a priority to visit Dr. Indiana Bones. The excitement of seeing what new outfit it’ll be dressed in next is something that students alike can appreciate. Spooky season is thriving at North Atlanta due to the arrival of the newest teacher, Dr. Indiana Bones, who stands tall and proud, ready to help kids learn and bring the Halloween spirit to NAHS.