A Dubs Football Fan’s Cry: Bring The Home Games Home

Sophomore+Journalism+2+student+John+Underwood+speaks+for+many+North+Atlanta+football+fans+when+he+calls+for+the+construction+of+a+football+stadium+on+campus+for+the+Dubs.+

Wilson Iwanicki

Sophomore Journalism 2 student John Underwood speaks for many North Atlanta football fans when he calls for the construction of a football stadium on campus for the Dubs.

A crowded student section, rowdy fans, fun theme nights, an incredibly long concession stand line, and yelling at your friends on the football team, eager to see them get some action. These are all things that can be seen at a North Atlanta football game on Fridays in the fall. Football games are some of the best times to be a high schooler ever, because it consists of a great football atmosphere and being able to bond with friends and introduce yourself to new people outside of school. The only negative to these exciting football games is that North Atlanta students and fans have to drive so far from the school itself to catch the “home” game at the MIdtown stadium at Midtown Highschool. This commute to Midtown every Friday has raised the same common question, is it really a home game?

Having the opportunity to play at such a nice stadium that is Midtown Stadium is a huge privilege for the Dubs considering that fact is by far one of the nicest high school stadiums in the whole city of Atlanta. However, North Atlanta’s campus has a great space and a great reason to construct a stadium on school grounds. Some of the reasons include a luxurious and large practice field with a hill that overlooks it, practically asking for a set of bleachers and to be built along its slope. Just upgrade the other set of stands on the other side of the field and make a few changes, and you have yourself a stadium. Even though this may cost a large amount of money and might be hard to accomplish, I think if people really get on board with this idea, and APS helps fund it, it will definitely be possible in the near future.

One of the most important parts of going to any stadium or sporting event is the parking and the amount of parking spaces for the fans. Lucky for North Atlanta, parking should not be an issue at all. Fans who want to watch a football or soccer game can either park in the bus loop, the side of the road, or most likely the popular choice, the parking lot where students and staff park during the school day. This parking lot has 4 floors with plenty of room for everyone so parking shouldn’t be a big problem if the stadium is ever constructed. Some people may bring up the point that Midtown Stadium has many restaurant options around the stadium and North Atlanta doesn’t, however, if you drive not even 5 minutes from the school, there are plenty of options for food that a fan can enjoy and also the probability of the construction of a concession stand in the stadium, so grubbing during and before the game should be no issue at all.

Not only does North Atlanta have a good spot for a stadium and good parking, but the views from the stadium will be top notch as the fan will get a perfect view at the school itself, and then in the background behind the school, the Marietta skyline reflecting on the school name North Atlanta. Not to mention, having a stadium on campus will be wildly impressive for the school, as they no longer have to use the rival Midtown High School’s Stadium. Most schools around Atlanta have stadiums, such as Marist and Westminster just to name a few, so I think as the North Atlanta sports programs become stronger, it is finally time for our school to stop embarrassing ourselves and finally do the very thing we should have done a long time ago, and build that stadium.