“The Bachelorette”: North Atlanta Style

Junior+Journalism+2+student+Martha+Crisp+is+calling+for+a+moratorium+on+overt+displays+of+affection+in+the+hallways+of+North+Atlanta.+

Dennis Racket

Junior Journalism 2 student Martha Crisp is calling for a moratorium on overt displays of affection in the hallways of North Atlanta.

North Atlanta students bring the heat into this season’s finale of The Bachelorette. Hallways filled with young lovers daydreaming of finding “the one.” And once they find that special someone the hallways, once just a route to class, have become the perfect make-out spot. Oh, to be young and in love. But do these youngsters realize that they have become the biggest and most grotesque roadblocks in hallway traffic history? The lonely students of North Atlanta are reminded of their loveless lives every time they are en route to class. Forget about the innocence of High School Musical love, nowadays it is just plain out inappropriate.

School used to be a time for learning and possibly discovering who you are. But the times have changed, and it has become a life-like dating app for teenage lovers. Walking through hallways and staircases, students swipe right (yes) or left (no) to decide who their next soulmate will be. Which they make so obvious between class smooches and lunchtime dates. Everyone seems to be canoodling, no wonder illnesses spread around like wildfire!

What makes matters worse is when the infamous young lovers end their relationship. Oh, the horror! Now the hallways bring the ex-lovers center stage for their biggest argument yet. From what I heard Friday afternoon between third and fourth period, Sarah found out Mark invited another girl to dinner after the football game. Mark seemed to think he did nothing wrong, which only made Sarah more infuriated. While this amusing performance took place, me and the rest of the student body stood backed up in hallway traffic which quickly turned the performance from entertaining to utterly annoying. Nobody cares Mark invited Sarah’s best friend to the dinner she was supposed to go to! We just want to get to class and so should Mark and Sarah.

The end of Mark and Sarah’s quarrel brought kissless hallways over the next couple of days. Until Mark found Sarah’s replacement, the hallway smooches started again and hallway traffic was soon to follow. Since students have no excuse for being tardy, other than “Mark and his girlfriend were kissing” which no teacher will accept, we all have to pay the price for the young lover’s very public display of affection. Nevertheless, the hall monitors are more focused on dress-coding students than the ones acting like they are on The Bachelor. At this point, we need a PDA monitor just to keep students off of each other.

As Taylor Swift once said, “back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday but I realized some bigger dreams of mine.” Who cares about Mark? Focus on school and not lunchtime smooches. But if that’s too hard, take to the privacy of your own home so the rest of North Atlanta doesn’t have to awkwardly view hallway kisses at 8:45 in the morning. Public Display of Affection is out and Private Display of Affection is in!