You Thought You Ate: School Lunch Is Too Short!  

Dennis Racket

Junior Journalism 2 student Shelby Terry is one among many who chews fast at lunch – because she feels the lunch period is too short!

After long hours of having hunger pangs in class, sneaking snacks in Spanish, and daydreaming about what I might have for dinner, the best part of the day finally comes. Lunch Time. A time when students get to socialize, eat good food, and even study for a test they have next period; however, in reality, none of us have time to do those leisurely things. Just as I sit down to bite into my sandwich, it’s already time to leave and return to my class… Are you serious? With only 22 minutes to scarf down our lunches, students suffer every day due to our abusively short lunch break. The question is, why is our lunch break so short when our classes are so long?

From personal experience, the first lunch on A days is the worst. Right after the second period ends, students have to race from the 10th and 11th floors all the way to the cafeteria just to eat. An entire floor of kids taking the same stairs to get to the third floor is bound to cause traffic issues in the hallway. By the time everyone finally makes it down to the cafeteria, 10 minutes of our lunch period are already gone. 2nd lunch on B days is no better. Even though my friends and I have lunch on the 5th floor and get to the cafeteria on time, leaving for lunch at the beginning of class is disruptive. When we get back, it feels like we have a ton of work to do that we are expected to complete before the period is over. Some people are so nervous about making it back to class on time that they risk not eating, which causes irritability, difficulty concentrating, nausea and headaches. Even if extending our lunch break causes too many issues within our schedule, the least that the administration could do is allow both 11th and 12th graders to eat in the courtyard or the practice field.

Our high school campus is beautiful and unique, but we never get to truly see it or use any outdoor amenities. We should be allowed fresh air and downtime when eating lunch. As rising young adults, students should be trusted with the responsibility of eating outside.

This solution would help limit the number of people in the cafeteria and remove pressure from staff working in the lunchroom. Another solution includes letting some people eat in classrooms. This option would lower anxiety levels among students who worry about returning to class on time and would be less disruptive in the hallways.

As I solemnly get up from my lunch table, I continue to eat my sandwich. All while Maneuvering through kids in the hallway and slowly walking up 4 flights of stairs. When I finally get to my class, I Linger behind so I can at least be full for the rest of the period. Some days I’m successful with gulping my lunch; others, I’m not. However, one thing is for sure, I always continue the rest of my day with an upset stomach from eating too fast or not eating at all.